Chapter Twenty Two

Soundwave had created a bridge leading to the coordinates of the base that Optimus had given him. Bulkhead had helped Arcee to her pedes, but when she didn't really walk, he gave up, picked her up, and ran. The Autobots and Shattered Glass Decepticons retreated. Soundwave made a bridge for Ratchet, and Optimus carried Bumblebee through, saddened at the extent of the scout's injuries.

He set the scout on a medical berth, allowing Ratchet to work. He looked around and noticed Arcee being treated by Knockout, who really wasn't doing much more than just a checkup. She still looked out of it and knew he should speak with her soon.

His gaze shifted from her to Soundwave, gently twisting the top of the pod off and gently picking up the children inside.

"Are they dead?"

Everyone jumped at the voice, and they saw three humans coming from behind the GroundBridge controls. Miko, Raf, and Jack.

"Where did you three come from?" Airachnid asked, though it sounded more like a demand to know.

"Uh...we may have snuck through Soundwave's bridge?" Raf replied, nervously tapping his index fingers together. The others looked at Soundwave, who shrugged before setting an unconcious Jack down. Knockout face-palmed.

The kids didn't take that as a command to leave and ran up the stairs to their counterparts.

"No, really, are they dead?" Miko asked, looking up at Soundwave worriedly. The mech shook his head once as he placed down Raf, still in the fetal position, and his counterpart watched sadly before walking over and sitting in front of him.

"How are they alive?" Jack asked in awe.

"My guess? Bumblebee pulled another selfless move," Ratchet replied, looking up from his work for a second, before looking back at the scout. His vitals were still low.

"By the AllSpark Bumblebee, why do you have to keep doing this?" Ratchet cried. "I'm not going to be able to heal you every time!"

Optimus set a servo on the medic's shoulder plate in silent comfort. He knew Ratchet blamed himself for not being able to fix Bumblebee's voicebox. The room was silent for a few minutes until Miko stirred from her place on the couch. They looked over at her expectantly, hoping that she was alright after the explosion. She tried to sit up, but with her ribs and arm, it was impossible until the other Jack had gently taken her good arm and put it around his shoulders to lift her into a sitting position.

"Thanks, nerd Jack." she smiled at him, and he smiled back. She looked over at Raf, still curled up in the fetal position, and set a hand on his head to try and comfort him. He was fully conscious throughout the entire thing but wanted so desperately to just forget it all happened. Any of it. He was awake for the fighting, and had seen Bee again, the evil Bee. He knew his friend was in trouble, from what Ratchet was saying.

When Raf had ever dared to look up, it was either an evil Bee or his lifeless friends that greeted him. They looked so dead, he had to remind himself that he knew they were alive. He cried already, during the fight. Jack and Miko were out cold, and he envied them for it. He didn't have tears left. He didn't feel safe. He just wanted all of it to go away. The injuries, the memories, any trace, gone. He wanted Bee back to full health. He wanted Miko to be okay. He didn't want to think he was going to die every second while Optimus Prime's evil counterpart was on his Earth. He wanted it all gone.

He couldn't help it. He cried again. He didn't think he had tears left, but he did. And he didn't bother trying to hide them.

"Oh, Raf..." Miko whispered, moving from his head to his arm and gently rubbing it. She wanted to hug him, but physically was unable to.