Chapter Nineteen

"Megatron, what have you done?" Optimus asked, gritting his dentas together. The kids already went through too much. This was the final straw.

"Optimus, you've already brought innocent beings into this once, let them go," Megatron added from his place next to Optimus, giving the warlord a death glare.

"Oh, but what fun is that?" Optimus replied. "I'm sure Ratchet would enjoy...seeing how they function. And I'm sure Bumblebee would enjoy using his counterpart as target practice."

Arcee looked at her charge in worry. The kids were frightened into silence, even Miko, and Jack was really just trying to gather his surroundings. He recognized what was going on and slowly moved Raf behind him in protection, keeping an arm in front of Miko as well. Megatron watched him in amusement. He knew Optimus valued the boy, and he understood why now. He was just like him.

"You're sick," Arcee spat. She didn't feel bad about saying it; the Optimus she knew would never become like this.

"Why are you doing this?" Megatron asked, to which his counterpart smiled.

"To let you realize you truly have no control over how this plays out. If you want the kids, we would be willing to trade them."

"Optimus."

"Megatron," Ratchet and Starscream said at the same time, turning to their respective leader and close friend. They knew what they were going to ask for, but that didn't stop them from expressing their feelings about it. Optimus set a servo on Ratchet's shoulder plate, and Megatron on Starscream's.

"What are your terms?" Optimus asked.

"You two are to surrender yourselves, or you can say goodbye to your pets, as well as your scout."

"Optimus, don't!" Jack cried. Megatron gave him a sideways glance and a smile that sent shivers down his spine.

"Quite a selfless one, isn't he?"

Optimus frowned, his optics narrowing slightly. He knew either outcome was less than ideal, but it had to be done. And he was not about to allow another innocent human life to end because of this war.

He looked over at Megatron and could tell he was thinking the same thing. Megatron met his optics, and nodded once.

"We accept your terms," Optimus declared.

"Wise choice," his counterpart replied, giving him a small smile that made his spark twist.

"Coordinates will be sent. We will initiate the trade in thirty earth minutes. Come alone. And if you think about double-crossing us," Megatron started, turning to Optimus, who smiled evilly at the kids. His servo transformed into a blaster and he aimed it at them. Jack shoved Miko behind him, and Optimus fired. Miko screamed, Raf was too petrified to. Jack remained still. He knew they wouldn't get rid of the few bargaining chips they had, but that didn't mean his heart wasn't in his throat.

The blast grazed the top of his head and hit the wall behind them.

The transmission cut, and the room was silent for a few seconds until Optimus vented out quietly.

"Optimus...you can't do this," Arcee whispered, setting a servo on his arm. She was worried for Jack, but she also knew the stakes and knew he was right, as much as she hated to admit it.

"We do not have a choice, Arcee," Optimus replied quietly.

"Then make a choice!" Bulkhead nearly shouted.

"There's always another way to do things!" Breakdown added.

"Optimus, Megatron, if you don't survive, neither will the planet in your dimension! Think!" Ratchet argued.