Chapter Twenty Four

"He already knows."

Optimus turned around to face the voice and came face-to-face with his counterpart. He had been fully repaired, and his optics still glowed a bright and menacing orange. The others stepped back in surprise, save for Megatron.

"I cannot allow you to destroy my world," Optimus declared firmly. "And I cannot allow you to destroy yours, either."

"Your courage is admirable, but I am afraid the outcome has been determined since Megatron's defeat."

"Optimus, we cannot do this right now," Megatron whispered to the Prime, who was half glaring at his evil counterpart. "He is only distracting you. You must leave. You're our only chance. My team will stay and fight."

Optimus Prime's optics narrowed further as he watched his counterpart, who was still a few feet away, though obviously knowing they were planning something.

"Very well," Optimus replied quietly, and Megatron took that opportunity to run towards Optimus' counterpart and tackle him to the floor, distracting him. Optimus turned and took the kids from Breakdown before running, gesturing for his team to follow. Bulkhead handed Ratchet the kids and picked up Bee before running out, Arcee and Ratchet behind them.

A groundbridge opened, and the other world's autobots and that world's Decepticons ran through to assist their new leader.

"They'll be overrun!" Arcee exclaimed, stopping as she turned to face the scene, which had quickly escalated to two-to-one instead of one-on-six. Optimus stopped to look, before he and Arcee exchanged a knowing glance. He nodded once, and she ran back toward the fray, armblades unsheathed. The rest continued forward, as they had humans and an injured teammate to protect, and they couldn't do that and fight at the same time, unless it came down to it.

With Optimus holding the humans gently in his servos, he continued running down the halls. The Matrix of Leadership seemed to guide him in its own twisted way, but as he approached, everything seemed to be off. It started to hurt. He couldn't see very clearly. His senses were weakened. It hurt to move. But he kept doing so. After all, Earth's survival depended on the outcome of this battle.

*

All he could hear were the familiar sounds of blaster fire and fighting.

All he knew was fighting.

The mech knew he was being carried. He kept bouncing up and down lightly. He willed his optical sensors to come back online, and to his delight, they did. He almost smiled. Bulkhead was holding him, and Ratchet was beside him. He was with his team.

Looking closer, the mech was relieved to see the three humans he had attempted to protect alive, and seeming to fair well, all things considered. He was content, until a question came to his processor.

Why were they running?

The scout looked around weakly, spotting Optimus, carefully holding three more humans. He looked behind Bulkhead. The sound of blaster fire was faint, but he could recognize it anywhere.

Where were they?

"Optimus!" Ratchet called urgently as the said mech stumbled slightly, though quickly regained his footing.

What was wrong with him?

Optimus handed the additional humans to the medic, who didn't complain. While they had briefly stopped, he glanced over at the scout, and a relieved smile came to his faceplate.

"Bumblebee, thank the AllSpark!"

The small human in his left servo, his charge, his friend, looked up and beamed.