"What does he think? That I will not be suspicious of an invitation out of the blue from a Sheriff in—where are we? That I will not do my homework and find out who he is? Does he not think that his reputation has not spread to Europe? And you..." The annoyed Count spoke as they both appeared out from behind the pillar before he roughly grabbed hold of her arm.

".... you are in on this little plan. Do you think this is the first time I've been offered a girl to take my eyes from the tables?" He demanded as he looks down at her alluring cleavage making Esme growl in anger and discomfort.

"Let go of me!" She spat as she pulls her arms out of his grip.

"Do you people think that I am a complete idiot?" He asked angrily.

"Yes! Until now, which is exactly what you wanted, isn't it?" Esme chuckled annoyed making the Count raise an eyebrow.

"What do you mean?"

"Oh, come on. The way you fight. You are no booby. I don’t think a booby does homework on his hosts. I think it suits you to have people think you are an idiot." Esme stated as she walked around the large map to gain an image of it in her mind.

"It helps sometimes. People play less cautiously. But I am no cheat." The Count admitted.

"And for what it’s worth, I am no lackey of the Sheriff." She defended.

"So... we are both players." The Count sighed with a smirk, relieved to know they were both on the same side. Kinda.

"And what will you do?" She asked and nodding slightly.

"Do? Leave. If the Sheriff is loading the dice, I cannot win. I'll be struck by a sudden illness." He pretended like he was going to faint dramatically causing them both to giggle like immature children. When they got control over their breaths an idea struck Esme as she gasped.

"Don’t leave. Help me." Esme whispered brightly at her sudden idea.

"Help you?"

"You heard the Sheriff. He’s using the money to plot against the King. I have friends who would like to relieve him of his money before he distributes it. And that'll have to be tonight." She informed him as she walked over towards him.

"This is a dangerous game." He responded unsure.

"But you’re a player." She smirked smiling slightly as she knew that putting up that challenge now he wouldn't be able to deny it as he smirked in response.

*************

I was currently in my room out of that tight, revealing gown and into someone I missed and felt very comfortable in. My riding clothes. Feeling the familiar smoothness of my red top and black leather pants I smiled as I slipped on my boots. I grimaced slightly as my palm was bruising from the harsh slap against the Corporal earlier as I grabbed my gloves.

"Esme?" A knock came as I quickly slipped my hand into the glove.

"Come in" I called as Guy entered only to make me pause and huff as his eyes quickly watched me noticing my change in outfit.

"The Count has insisted on taking me riding" I informed refusing to look at him as I went to walk past him as he caught my making me yelp and draw it back suddenly as I watched his eyes go cold. He remained silent as he snatched my glove from my hand to reveal the bruise as his fingers trailed over my aching skin. His deep growl made me gulp as I snatched my glove back before storming down the hallways towards the castle courtyard.

One of the stable boys brought forward my own black horse that Guy had bought for me a while ago as I smiled and brushed its mane. I waited for the Count to arrive as I heard the sound of running down feet down the steps as I turned to see the Sheriff, making me turn back to my horse and rolling my eyes.