Chapter 26: How old are you?

Start from the beginning

"Huh," she says. "I thought you'd be taller."

"I get that a lot."

"It's cute though."

"Thanks?"

"So, what are the boys like. Does Harry really walk around naked?"

"Not entirely." Not now that we're here, at least.

"What's Louis like as a dad?" I feel like I'm being interrogated.

"Ummm, protective?"

"Does he spoil you?" Is there going to be a quiz on this?

"I guess?"

"If you could have your old family back instead, would you?" What kind of question is that!? I don't know what would be worse; if she seriously meant that as a question, or if she was trying to make a joke out of it! Thankfully though, I didn't have to answer because Chris Cringle began lecturing the class about parabales. As the class went by, Valerie kept trying to interrogate me some more, and I kept saying that I had to pay attention so I didn't fall even farther behind. Finally the bell rang and everyone left the classroom.

Next, I had French with Erica. I took out the map to attempt to find the room, but clearly it didn't help much, seeing as by the time I got there, everyone was already in their seats. I quickly took a seat in the front, next to Erica.

"How was Chem?" I asked her. Did I mention that Erica tested into a bunch of classes that everyone else in our year is taking in a year or two. What can I say? She's the smart one, and it doesn't look like she has to worry about losing that title anytime soon.

"It was actually really fun. You would like it. It's a lot of math," she replied excitedly.

"Maybe I would. But in order to do that I would have to test out of Biology and Algebra first. Not everyone is as smart as you."

"You're smart Avery. You just missed a lot of school."

"So did you."

"I mean before all of this happened."

"Oh. Right. I knew that." Or at least I can pretend I did.

"Anyway, tell me about Algebra. Who did you talk to?"

"I met a girl named Valerie. And she interrogated me with fifty-thousand questions."

"And I'm guessing that by fifty-thousand you mean five."

"About five that I actually answered. And a bunch that I ignored."

Before Erica could say some Erica-like statement regarding how I should have been more polite, the teacher stepped up to the front of the room.

"Bonjour classe," ("Hello class,") she said.

"Bonjour Madame Weaver," ("Hello Mrs. Weaver,") they all responded in unison. I never understood why people do that. It's creepy and it makes them sound like they're posessed.

"We have some new students today. Would you please each say your name, how old you are, and one thing you like to do."

Erica stood up and began with "Hi. I'm-"

"En français s'il vous plaît," ("In French please,") Mme. Weaver interrupted.

"Bonjour, je m'appelle Erica. J'ai quatorze ans et j'aime lire." ("Hello, my name is Erica. I'm fourteen years old and I like to read.")

"Oh," said Mme. Weaver. "Qui est ton ton auteur favori" ("Who is your favorite author?")

"J'aime John Green a ce moment." ("I like John Green at the moment.")