Chapter 26: How old are you?

~Chapter 26~

Avery's POV

After the rehabilitation center burned down, the doctors couldn't exactly send us back. Caitlyn and I still keep in touch with Chloe and Gage (who by the way, is out of the hospital, but still has bandages on the burns,) but we don't get to see them often. They were meant to be there for a long time, so they're being sent back as soon as it's rebuilt. On the bright side, we're done with the bell-schedules, long hallways, and neverending lunch lines of the rehabilitation center. However, starting today. we have to deal with the bell-schedules, long hallways, and neverending hallways of high school. And we get to start halfway through the school year! Yay for make-up work! Ugh!

The boys say that my sisters and I would get mobbed by fans if we took the bus like most students, and they're too busy with work to drive us. We are going there early today to get our schedules and things like that. So, here we are, sitting in our uniforms, being driven to school in a black limousine, because that's totally not going to attract attention at all!

The driver pulls up in front of the school and we all get out with our book bags and walk into the main office. The receptionist at the desk looks up. "Hello," she says nervously, "I'm Amy. You must be the One Direction girls." We nod our heads in response. "Well, I have your schedules, locker numbers and combinations, and maps of the school. Which one of you is Erica?" Erica steps forward to get her papers. "And Avery is the short one isn't she? That's what students told me at least."

It's nice to know what people think of me.

Anyway, after we compare our schedules and my sisters finish laughing at the fact that Amy the receptionist called me the short one, we set up our lockers, which are all next to each other. Coincidence? I think not. The bell rings and we make our way to our first period class. I have Algebra with Holly. When we get to the room, instead of letting me just pretend I was always in this class like I would like to do, Holly chooses to drag me by my wrist and immediately start talking to the teacher.

"Hello," she says to a man who looks like he's in his thirties. "I'm Holly, and this is Avery. We're new here."

"Hello. I'm Mr. Ringle." I try to hold back giggles. I'm gonna call him Chris Cringle. "You can get your textbooks from the back of the room and just sit in any empty seat." Holly once again drags me across the room to get books and then rushes to sit next to a tall blond boy. I look around the room and sit next to a brunette girl near the back of the room, who just so happens to be texting at a mile a minute.

"Who are you?" she asks as soon as she finally looks up from her phone and realises that there is another person next to her.

"I'm Avery," I say.

"Are you in the wrong class? Primary school is on the other side of the building."

"No, I'm supposed to be here."

"I think you're confused. Let's go talk to the teacher and figure out where you're supposed to be." She then grabs me by my arm and pulls me across the room, without letting me say anything. People seem to be doing this a lot lately.

"Mr. Ringle," she says. "Shouldn't this little girl be on the other side of the building?"

"No Valerie," says Chris Cringle. "This is Avery Tomlinson. She's a new student."

"Oh," she says awkwardly, dragging me back to our seats.

"Are you really Avery Tomlinson?" Valerie asks me.

"Yes," I say.

"Wait a minute," she says as if I have another choice. Valerie takes out her phone and goes to my twitter page. She looks back and forth between me and my profile picture until she seems satisfied.