53.

Grayson's Pov.

"After I left, I didn't really think about coming back, I thought it would be better to go because I still can't control myself, so before I could kill anyone, I wanted to go. That's why I wanted to go to the Volturi, so they help me, but that didn't help", I look at the others. I'm not proud to have let them down. But now they know it.

"Why didn't you just tell us?", my sister asks, sitting opposite me. Her facial features have now become softer. She looks sad and disappointed. I can't blame her either.
"I didn't want to cause you any trouble with that, I just didn't want to be the vampire who didn't get it on and makes trouble", my gaze falls on Amber, who sits quietly next to Carissa and seems to be thinking.
What is she thinking about?

Amber's Pov.

"I didn't want to cause you any trouble with that, I just didn't want to be the vampire who didn't get it on and makes trouble", he says. But it really sounds like he's sorry. Maybe he really is.
But I can't be so naive and trust him blindly.
He just didn't want to be the vampire who makes trouble?
I can't believe he just said that. I want to slap him again.
Does he really have that little faith in us?

I sit quietly next to Carissa and listen to him. When he finishes his narration it gets quiet. Nobody wants to say anything.
Suddenly Grayson gets up. He wants to go, I can hear that in my head. But Carissa jumps up and holds his wrist. Then she hugs him tightly,
"Please, don't leave", she says softly. Startled, he returns the hug.

I just look down and then get up.
"At least we know the reason now", I say calmly and look to Renesmee. She looks hungry.
No wonder there's no human food in the house.

Without further ado I hand her a winter jacket, a scarf and a hat, whereupon she looks at me questioningly.
"Come on, let's go to the next store and get some food", I say with a mild smile. I can feel the other's gaze on me, but ignore it and go outside with her.

I remember a small town nearby. There are only two shops selling food there.
First, I wanted to leave the house because of Renesmee.
Second, that Carissa and Grayson can talk in peace. I could feel it the last few months, how she felt. Unfortunately, I couldn't change her mood with Jasper's gift.
Arrived in the city, we are immediately patterned, as before. In the past I was rarely here, I stayed mostly in my hut.

I was always greeted by a nice cashier when I visited the store. She was in her mid-50s and already had gray hair.
Always before I left, she gave me sweets, I remember that well. After leaving the store, I gave it to the kids who were playing in the snow. These kids should already be grown up now.

I start to smile as we enter the store. Renesmee starts to look around and gets something while I follow her quietly. Here, hardly anything has changed. After a while she finally found something and we go to pay. Then we start our way back.

In the car, Renesmee turns on the radio because it's too quiet for her.
It's Shine from Years & Years. I smile again and hum softly, still pay attention to the street.

We arrive after a while back at the house of Denali's. I take Renesmee's stuff and carry it after her.
"How long will we stay here?", Renesmee asks, as we stand at the front door and Kate opens us.
"A few days", I say and go inside with her.
But I know that it will be a bit longer than that.