chapter 31

Copyright © 2012 by akm

__________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Thirty-One

Life

Nathan's POV

"There. Is. Nothing. To. Do."

I look over at Pammy for a suggestion but she just shrugs and looks out the window at the pouring rain. A strike of lightning lights up the sky and she jumps back. I reach over the bed and grab her around the waist, puling her down with me. She shrieks and laughs when I tickle her. I've learned from years of tickling her weak spots and how to avoid her kicks.

"Nathan, stop, stop, please!" she giggles.

"Okay," I say and roll over so I have her arms pinned down. "What do you wanna do?"

"I dunno, what do you wanna do?" she replies with a grin.

"Urgh, you know I hate that answer, Pammy," I tell her, releasing her arms and pulling her up so her forehead is against mine. "What do you wanna do?"

She thinks for a moment, pursing her lips. I can't help but kiss them quickly and she laughs. "How about the Game of Life?"

I grin. "Yes." When we were kids we always played this game until one of our parents screamed at us to pick everything up and go to bed. It was our favorite board game but we haven't played it in years. "Do you even know where it is?" She gets up and as she walks I check her out multiple times. The white tank top snugly fits her figure and curves, perfectly matching the light blue sweatpants. She opens the closet door and stretches up on her tip-toes, her shirt sliding up her back a little bit so her lower back peeks out. I bite my lip and focus on where her hands are reaching. She pulls down the box and smiles.

"Yes, I know where it is," she tells me, sitting down on the floor and taking off the top of the box. I plop down and lean against her bed as she takes out the pieces and board and organizes the money. I watch her carefully, the way her lips move as she counts the money, the way her brow furrows as she makes sure all the pieces are ready. Then she picks a little green car and hands it to me.

"Green was always yours," she says with a smile, taking her blue one. "Do you want a boy player or girl player?"

I give her a look and take the blue boy player, placing it in my driver's seat. She blinks her eyelashes innocently and puts her girl in the car. Then she spins the wheel, landing on a six. I turn it next and pout when it lands on a two.

"Me first," Pammy announces proudly. She goes the college path as always and spins a big ten, easily taking her through to the stop. She chooses a card and frowns. "I got the doctor career." Then she picks another card and smiles. "And eighty-thousand dollars."

"You know, I've always wondered if my life would be like it is in this game," I tell her as I twist the spinner. "Like, if I would actually be, say, a vet, making ninety-thousand dollars a year."

"Yeah, me too," she laughs. "It sounds kinda funny, though, doesn't it? That a game could make our lives."

"Nah, it sounds normal. Always wondering how life's gonna turn out."

"I always do, but I just kind of go with it. Everything happens for a reason."

"Yep."

"Just like you missing a turn."

"What?! Crap."

"I am so going to win this game."

"We'll see."