chapter 4

Copyright © 2012 by akm

________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Four:

The Swings

A groan came muffled from Lee as he face-planted right in the sand, and Rachel landed right on top as she flew off. They both broke into laughter and kissed. They had been together for a while now, and I thought they made a really cute couple, so I couldn't help but let an, "aww," escape. They stopped and turned to me, Lee with an annoyed expression and Rachel blushing as they sat on the sand together. Lee stood and helped up his girlfriend, dusting the sand off himself.

"You okay?" he asked her and she nodded as he wrapped his arm securely around her waist as they hurried off the sand before Maya and Jackson jumped from the swings.

We all decided on jumping the swings, two at a time since the third one broke because of little kids that came. It seemed that no parent would keep watch of their pesky creatures. We had gotten lucky that none were here now, but a baseball game did begin. Probably the Little Sharks playing against some other kids. I never cared about the games, but I had ridden by on my bike looking for an italian ice stand. They often had those, selling the best cherry in the world.

Thinking of the cold cherry italian ice, my mouth began to water and I began to crave it. I still had my money and I could easily walk over and grab a small before dark. I thought it over and decided I would; my stomach growled.

Maya and Jackson weren't a couple; but it was obvious that Maya liked him. Blondie and blondie. Dumb and dumber. Perfect couple, but Jackson never seemed like he liked her that way. And personally, he could do better than Maya. Some other cheerleader who's not as naggy, braggy, annoying, and self-centered.

Maya really could be a nice person . . . when she wanted to be. And nobody controlled that. Well, except Jackson. But otherwise, she was always moody to everyone else.

"I'm gonna go get some italian ice," I announced, beginning to walk before I stopped just to see what would happen when they jumped off.

They both swung at the same time, Maya's smile wide and the Brick's a small grin. We chanted from three and at one, they both launched into the air, landing hard on the sand. Those swings must be cursed, because Maya fell right on top of Jackson, giggling and laughing histerically. But Jackson quieted down, gently pushing her away. I could see the hurt in her eyes but she stood and hid it well. As Jackson followed behind her to the side, I started to walk when Nathan decided to follow.

A sweet breeze whispered through the trees in the park, and it created a peaceful atmostphere. I sighed, the smell of hot dogs, nachos, and popcorn filling my nose. It only made my stomach growl louder and I quickly grabbed it as Nathan chuckled.

"Let's get some food in there before your stomach makes noises unknown to science," he told me.

"Sure," I mumbled, keeping up with his quicker pace.

Loud cheers almost blew my eardrum as we approached the center. The baseball fields surrounded it, with the concession building in the middle. As I spotted it, I found the italian ice cart just beside the long line. A smile formed as I saw the worker.

He crouched over a cup, currently filling it with bright red cherry italian ice. He smiled as he exchanged it for a few bills in a little girl's hand and he looked up. When he spotted me, he tipped his hat, his brown hair slightly getting in his eyes as his grin covered most of his face. I could see the sparkle in his brown eyes as I stood before the glass.