chapter 37

Copyright (c) akm

_______________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Thirty-Seven

Unbelievable

When the sun starts to lay down for bed, we walk back. Since it's a little dark, my clumsy feet find it hard to avoid the branches and holes ground makes. I trip a few times, but Nathan's strong arms are there to hold me. He smiles every time, holding back a laugh, but I can't blame him. I'm laughing at myself, too.

At the one pot-hole, he lifts me over again. I love the way it feels, gliding through the air like I'm weightless. It reminds me of being on the moon, and I can't help but giggle at the feeling. This makes him smile and he does it again, so I giggle again. He shakes his head and slides his hand down my arm, interlocking our fingers.

"What?" I ask, swaying them back and forth.

"You're such a little kid," he teases as we come into view of the opening from which we came. He moves a little off the path and plucks a flower from a bush near the exit. It's a little pink hibiscus. It's not as romantic as the red rose, but he knows I have a fondness for them.

There's not much sunlight left, but just enough to make the sky turn bright sienna, rays streaming through the trees. He hands me the flower and I inhale its sweet scent, holding it as we stroll along the sidewalk. It's nice, just him and me, in the sunset. We don't need words to express our happiness or our thoughts, because we've always just kind of known. It's peaceful and perfect. Not a sound except the rustle of the leaves on the trees from the soft breeze.

It doesn't take long before we're at our property borderline. He turns to face me, taking the blossom from my hands and gently tucking it behind my ear. His fingers graze my cheek and pull my chin up so I'm staring straight into those familiar brown eyes.

"I love you, Pammy," he says, and I start to wonder if he plans this all out or just goes with it. I don't want to ask and break the moment, and I forget as soon as his lips meet mine. "See you tomorrow. Don't forget, we're going to that dance.

"Love you," I tell him, his hand reluctantly dropping mine as he wanders towards the house. I sigh, returning to my own house.

When the door opens, I hear a bang against a counter top and someone mumbling. I look into the kitchen and find my step-sisters standing there. They haven't noticed me yet so I hide behind the corner to see what they were up to.

"No, that one's too small. We need it big enough to put the cookies on," Christie says in her whiney voice.

"Well, how many does that thing make?" Katie asks. Christie glances down at a roll of cookie dough in her hands and skims the directions.

"It says twelve," she answers. Then she feels it and frowns. "It seems too heavy to only make twelve."

"Oh, well. We just have to make them before Pam gets back. She'll probably tell on us. If she ever gets back."

They laugh, but it sounds more like two witches cackling.

"I'm sure she's way too distracted, if you know what I mean," Christie says suggestively, elbowing her sister.

I can't help it now. I have to see their faces when I catch them.

"Oh, really?" I ask loudly, appearing from behind the corner. They jump back and hide their things behind the counter. I round it and yank the cookie dough and sheet from their hands and raise an eyebrow. "Well, what is this? Cookies for dinner?" I cluck my tongue like Nathan would. "I wonder what my dad and Rachel will say . . ."