chapter 1

Copyright © 2012 by akm

Okay so I started writing this a few years ago and it's really badly written and unedited haha I'm sorry, but I promise it gets better and I am doing the editing now that the book is finish.  Please give it a chance haha it gets better.  Thank you xx

_______________________________________________________________________________

Chapter One:

Just Friends

They say that love is unpredictable, unimaginable, and full of surprises. That it comes when you least expect it, like a lightning bolt suddenly lighting up the sky with an entrancing and quick brightness that lingers for only a moment, but it's still there. Somehow you just feel it, the way the wind blows and how thunder echoes shortly after. You know love will come at some point of your life, but you just don't know exactly when, and it's always when you need it the most.

We've always been the best of friends, Nathan and me. Through all the problems and troubles, the other was there for the shoulder to lean on, the one to come to, and the one to make you laugh when you don't think you could feel any crappier. He helped me, I helped him, and it'd always been that way since we met.

The particular day, I remember well, yet I was so young and unknowing. All I knew was that I had to walk down that aisle with the flower basket, occasionally throwing some, until I stopped right by my daddy to wait. The nice lady whom I had a hard time remembering her name explained it carefully, though it just went through one ear and out the other. I noticed that when she laughed, her blonde curls shook with her, along with the other ladies gathered in the small room. They all wore the same pale lavendar dresses and drank from fancy glasses. They joked and talked while I sat there on a cushy red chair with my fingers in my mouth and my stare blank. And then a woman walked in the room from a side door.

Her long white dress flowed into a beautiful train behind her with the veil pouring from the pearly crown on her head. The neckline curved down and the straps lazily slid down mid-shoulder. She blushed and picked at a flower in her bouquet shyly.

"Well?" she asked quietly.

All of the ladies shrieked and flew up to hug her. She hugged them all back and when they let her go, she picked up her dress to walk over to me. She kneeled and smiled, poking my nose playfully.

"Hiya, Pammy, remember me?" she said.

I shook my head.

"I'm gonna be your new step-mommy! Isn't that nice?" She seemed excited but I didn't know why, so I just looked at her with a confused look.

"Where's Daddy?" I asked, standing up. I hated the stupid shoes they stuck on my feet but didn't know how to take them off. I hated the stupid pink dress with ruffles and bows.

"It's okay, sweetie, we're gonna see him in a little bit, all right?" she told me.

I didn't exactly like this girl, but I thought I'd only have to see her this one time. When the other door opened and an older man walked in, she stood and I felt the atmosphere. The way everyone froze for a moment, not breathing, not talking, not moving, like everyone except me knew what was going to happen. And then the man smiled and offered her his arm. She looped her own through his and gave him a quick hug as the other ladies stood up and shuffled out to the hallway with their bouquets.

The nice lady from before handed me the woven basket with rose petals and smiled, taking my hand and leading me out the door and all the way up front, just my luck. I worriedly looked around and noticed a boy about my age with a pillow in his hands where two gold rings nestled neatly in the middle. He gave me a goofy smile and I laughed obnoxiously before I was hushed.