chapter 3

Copyright © 2012 by akm _______________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Three:

The Skate Park

"Look out for the-"

"What?!"

Nathan crashed into the wall and fell with a groan. I smacked a hand to my forehead and set my soda can on the concrete ramp us girls were sitting on. I hopped down and ran to where he lay on the ground.

"You okay?" I asked as he rolled over.

"Yep," he replied.

His face had a few cuts on it from slamming into concrete, but his hands were scraped up worse because of gripping his handlebars. Of course, he loved to BMX, and it never bothered him enough to make him quit. Not even after a broken wrist, foot, and sprained finger.

He stood up, shaking the hair out of his eyes. He dusted himself off and stood up his bike, looking at me with a grin, showing me he was "fine" when I knew he was hurting a bit.

I raised an eyebrow.

"I'm fine, really, Pam, go finish your soda and fat free granola bar," he told me. Lee laughed and skidded to a stop beside us. My eyebrow never went down as I looked at him.

"You said that when you broke your wrist, Nathan, I can see the scrapes all over your face," I replied, grabbing one wrist. "And look at your hands! They've got to hurt! Sit for a minute and relax."

He took his hand back and acted like he was thinking. "No," he chuckled before riding away towards another ramp with Lee. I shook my head and pulled myself onto the ramp I was sitting on, grumbling as I snatched my granola bar and read the label. It wasn't fat free; it had one gram. I ripped it open and popped it in my mouth.

"He'll be fine, Pam," Rachel assured me, bringing her water bottle to her lips.

"Whatever," I mumbled back.

"Lee, you're going to-" Rachel screamed before Lee slipped off the seat and onto the hard ground while the bike fell a few feet away. Rachel dropped her botte before hurrying to help him up.

"Boys, can we stay on our bikes, please?" Maya called, tying her blonde hair in a pony-tail.

"Hey, I haven't fallen," Jackson replied cockily.

Maya immediately blushed and sheepishly said, " not you, Jackson, those other fails over there."

I rolled my eyes and sipped some soda, realizing how much lighter the can felt. And sure enough, the last drop carefully slipped onto my tongue and I peeked inside the aluminum. Yep. Empty. I slid myself down the ramp again and easily tossed my empty soda can in the garbage, pulling out two dollar bills for the machine beside the plastic container.

Decisions, decisions. My finger brushed along the buttons as I narrowed my choices down, and right when I almost pressed the rectangle for Sprite, I jabbed the Mountain Dew one instead. The machine vended and the can fell loudly. I picked it up, along with the two quarters that clinked down, as Nathan came beside me. His arm brushed mine, and I couldn't help but shiver, even though I could feel the heat on my back.

"Can I borrow two bucks?" he asked with a cute smile. I rolled my eyes and pulled out my wallet. He snatched it teasingly and plucked out a few bills, inserting two in the soda machine as he threw my wallet at me. I almost caught it, but it just slipped from my left hand. I bent down to grab it when a hand barely touched it right when I did. Our eyes met and I felt unaware of anything but the pools of greyish green-blue eyes.