Chapter 1

CHAPTER ONE

I held my son tightly to protect him from the piercing night cold. I was freezing because of the cold but keeping Braden warm was all that mattered. My top was soaked with my tears. Looking at my son made me cry uncontrollably. He didn’t have to go through that. He was so young to go through all that.

I had no money for a hotel room or lodging. I had no friends around and the only friend I had had betrayed me. We had no option but to sleep by the road side. I was so sensitive to slight sounds. I looked at the time. It was already 9 Pm. Danger always lurks in the darkness. I was so prone to rape or even worse in that darkness.

People just stared at us and walked away without offering to help. Why were people so heartless? Why did all that have to happen? Why did it have to be me? I questioned God. If he was really a loving God then all that wouldn’t have happened. I chocked at the memory of the past events.
Headlights from a nearing car illuminated the road and the surrounding. I covered my eyes with my hands to avoid the powerful light. The driver pulled up just ahead of us and he walked towards us.
“Hey? Are you lost?” He gave us a concerned look. I just let the tears flow. I tried giving him an answer but all I did was cry.
“You are not safe here. Let me take you somewhere safe please.” He continued.
“We will be okay. Thanks for the concern.” I said amidst sobs. He was a stranger and I didn’t trust strangers.
“Am harmless. Please trust me. I want to help you and your baby. Don’t expose the baby to all this cold. Please!!”
“okay! Thanks a lot. I think I can trust you. ”
He took Braden from my hands and led the way to the car. He opened the passenger door for me and handed him to me. He took the driver’s seat and we hit the road. We drove in silence and he kept on stealing glances at me. It was so warm in the car.
“I’m Roy, and you?” He broke the silence.
“I’m Jackline. Thanks a lot for the help sir.”
“Please don’t call me sir. Stick to Roy, okay Jackline?” I nodded.
He pulled up outside a mansion and led us to the mansion. The house was a sight to behold. Everything in the house looked classy. An elderly woman appeared and smiled at us.
“Welcome sir, welcome madam.” She had a warm smile.
“Thanks Jane. Please take Jackline to the guest room Give her something warm to wear then we can have dinner after she is done.” I noticed that he was warm towards her.
“Right away sir.”
I lay Braden on the bed and Jane gave me some warm clothes to put on and showed me the bathroom. I took a shower and put on the clothes that Jane had given me. I lay beside Braden and watched him sleep. What would happen the following day? We had shelter for the night but the future was unknown. There was a knock on the door. Jane came in.
“Dinner is ready madam. Mr. Roy wants you to join him at the table. Please come along with me.”
I liked her. She was so friendly and warm towards me. I settled on a seat far away from him and I could feel his eyes on me. Jane served the dinner and she joined us.
“Tell me your story Jackline. What happened?” He had a serious look. I felt tears welling up in my eyes but I had to keep a straight face.
“it’s a long story.”