FAMILY

Sarah and the girls were finally ready. Everybody was dressed to the nines. Not one of them had been out to celebrate anything in a long while. It was always special to have dinner at Cliff and L.T.'s. Uncle Cliff was always trying out new recipes.
When the girls arrived, Sarah parked the car, and the girls got out laughing and joking like times in the past. The door opened just as Lane was about to knock. More laughter erupted out of the three. Nothing could dampen their joy to be together again.
As Cliff entered the hall to see the four of them together and so happy. It brought tears to his eyes. He had to abruptly turn back into the kitchen to regain control of his emotions as he checked on the sauce to go over the Tri-Tip. Under his breath, You need to get a hold of yourself before you spoil the surprise, was his attempt to gain control.
"Did Nicole and J say when they'd be here? " Sarah said.
"They should be here any minute," L.T. said, looking at the clock.
The doorbell rang no sooner than she finished the sentence. The level of commotion rose to a joyous height. When the little girls saw Lacie Jae, they screamed and ran into her arms. The girls had missed their Aunt Lace desperately. Nicole gave her a bear hug tight enough to take her breath away. It was a grand reunion. No one mentioned the elephant in the room the whole evening. To Lace's relief.
She sat watching the family, wondering how she was supposed to share the events of the past couple of weeks. She loved these people and wanted them to love and accept her as before, but nothing would ever be the same.
Cliff came in from outside with a platter full of meat. "I hope your all ready to eat half a beef," He said, setting the platter on the counter. L.T. was putting the rest of the meal out also. Grab a plate every one. There's more than enough. Here J and Jimmy, don't wait; you'll be here all night waiting. Cliff and L.T. were at their best with a houseful of guests.
"Where are the littles? I have their plates ready, J could you check real quick?" Nicole asks.
"I'll go look for them," Sarah said. She followed the screams and laughter. They were playing in the bedroom, having a good time. "Girls, come and eat dinner is ready." They jumped up running to the kitchen.
Sarah turned and had to grab the door jam. She was so overwhelmed by the goodness of God. It washed over and left her weak in the knees. They buckled, and she slid to the carpet. "Oh Jesus, you are so wonderful. I am grateful for my family. I know you love them more than I ever could. Oh, Lord, I love you." She could not move. It was so heavy. She rested in it and enjoyed His presence.
"Mom, are you ok?" Lace found her.
"Yes, I was overwhelmed by His love. I was undone by it, Lace."
"Are you ready to get up, or do you need a few more minutes?" Lace asked.
"No, I need help up, or there won't be any food left if we don't get back in there."
Laughing together, they entered the dining room. What a feeding frenzy, not a word was being spoken as everyone ate. Lace and Sarah hurried to fill their plates up.
Dinner was over and now was the time for Lace's surprise. The littles followed L.T. to the other refrigerator. When the door was opened, they clapped their hands at the pretty cake for their Aunt. They all three wanted to carry it together. L.T. had her hands under it to steady it and try and keep it from falling. It made it in one piece to her relief.
Candles were lite, and the family clapped to welcome Lace home. She buried her face in her Mom's hair. She was so overcome with emotions. Her sisters hugged her. The little girls took turns climbing up on a chair so they could hug her like big people. Cliff took her in his arms and smothered her with a bear hug. This time he could not control his tears of joy to have her home safely. L.T. wiped her tears and wrapped her arms around her in a tight hug.
They all ate their cake and went back for seconds. It was so tasty. All too soon, it was time to go home. It was a good day and time for bed and sweet dreams.