SHADOWS

When Sarah tucked each of her grown daughters in bed, it was with a heart filled with gratitude and praise. Having to let go of Lace and get out of the Lord's way was the hardest thing to do. She's had to do it with each of her children, and not sure she had the level of faith to trust the Lord with her girls was a stretch.
     Remembering to call her oldest daughter but drained of all energy. She prays, "Help me, Lord, to do this one last thing. "Picking up her phone and pushing her number, the phone rings. Nicole picks up after a couple of rings.
     "Hi Honey, Lace is home, no, please let me explain.  The girls are in bed, and she's only been home a little while; she was beyond exhausted. Nicole, She's alright, and we did not get the whole story, only bits, and pieces. Why don't you come over first thing in the morning for breakfast? Hopefully, she'll be able to give more information. Ok, sweetheart, I love you and sweet dreams."
     Wearily Sarah folds back the bedcovers. Using every ounce of energy to get into bed.  A big sigh of relief. "Thank You, Lord, for bringing her home alive and well. Help us, Lord, to understand and to be able to support her in this time of need." Tears of joy slide down her face as she drifts into sleep.
Lacie Jae's body automatically stretches as she wakes up. The movement jolts her awake. Uncertainty freezes her movement, trying to get her bearings. Only moving her eyes to see where she is, her mind registers home. Sitting straight up in her bed. Relief washes over her. She throws back the bedcovers and jumps out of bed.
    Flinging open her door, she yells, " It's a beautiful day, the sun is shining, get up. Come on, get up," as she barges into her twin Lanes room. Then into Makenzie's, and then opens her mom's bedroom door. She jumps on the bed, "come on, sleepyhead, wake up."
     "Taking Lace into her arms, Sarah said, "It isn't a dream, Oh Lace, your home."
     "I'm home, momma, and it's not a dream."
     Banging on the front door, Nicole yells," Open up I brought donuts." The door opens up, and Nicole is knocking on thin air." Oh, Lace, your home," hugging her younger sister tightly.
     "Come on, girls, let's close the door; you're letting the cold in. I'll put some coffee on." Sarah says as she ushers the family into the kitchen. 
    The girls are all talking at once. Sarah's heart is filled to overflowing with joy. Again she tears up with emotion, unable to express her gratitude to the Lord. "Thank You, Precious Lord. Give me Your strength for these days ahead."
    "Momma, are you alright?" Lace asks.
     "I am, love. I was thanking Jesus for bringing you home safely."
Nicole interrupts," Mom is the coffee going?"
     "Yes, it's going to take a couple of minutes to brew. Puts some plates and napkins out, Makenzie, if you would please." Sarah said.
      "Yum, donuts and coffee it can't get any better than this," Sarah said as she sat down.
      "And Lace is home," Lane said.
     "Yes, Thank You, Jesus. There are no words to express my gratitude to the Lord for allowing me to come for a while." Lace said.
      "Can you talk about what happened?" Sarah asked.
      "Not yet, Mom. I need to sort it out with Jesus."
Makenzie asks, "Do you want to do anything or go anywhere, Lace?"
     "No, I'm good just hanging out here at home."
      "Lace, the G Ma's are meeting a little later. Would you mind if I meet with them? Their meeting at Aunt L.T.'s."
      "Mom, go, we'll be fine, and I'll be here when you get back," Lace said.
      "Ok, I'll get dressed and run over. It'll be good to go for a short run.
Sarah hugs each of her girls. Holding each one especially tight to her heart. Settling into a leisurely pace. The sky is blue, and birds are happily chirping a praise song to the sun for its warmth. L.T. only lives a couple of blocks away. Sarah is just starting to warm up when she arrives at her brother's house. Cliff and L.T. had been married twenty some odd years. When Cliff relocated his family and business to the Pacific Northwest, it was perfect for them and Sarah.  It looked like the prayer team had all arrived. She knocked on the door, her brother answered it. She reaches up and hugs him, saying, " Cliff Lacie Jae came home last night." His hug tightened at these words.
      Not saying a word, they just embraced each other in silence. He relaxed his arms, and she stepped back. Both had tears of joy dripping down their faces. "Come in, Sarah L.T. will be so happy to hear the good news."
     L.T. comes around the corner of the kitchen. "What good news? Lace is home?" She said. By the look on Sarah's face and the tears on both their faces, she had the answer. "Oh, Sarah, I'm so thrilled and relieved to hear the good news. Come in, let's tell the G Ma's they'll want to hear their prayers were answered. Girls Lacie Jae came home. God answered our prayers."
      Cliff went out to the garage to leave them in peace. He had been waxing his car when he heard the praise music begin and the girls sing along. He had to stop at the overwhelming gratitude welling up in his heart. Relief flooded his whole being. He had been so fearful at the outcome of her disappearance. The percentage of ever seeing your child after they had been abducted was fearfully low. Putting the rag down, he went in so he, too, could hear the story.
     " Do you mind if I join you, I would really like to hear the story too?"
    "Yes, honey, come in. You didn't miss anything. Sarah was starting to share it with us."
    " I don't know very much. She was exhausted and just wanted to think about being home. She will share with us but didn't want to think about it yet," Sarah said.