Chapter Twenty-Six - 'The Break-up'

Chapter Twenty-Six – ‘The Break-up’

With the last message sent all invites were making their way to their respective owners. A few days from now LA would be graced by the finest all there to party hard with the boys from Locked Doors. The planners of the party; Jenny, Elena and Tom had a few tricks up their sleeves but weren’t telling anyone what they were. They’d planned and planned and bought all the decorations and hired all the appropriate people. Now all they had to do was wait for the day to come. As they travelled from San Francisco to LA they had plenty to talk about away from the eavesdroppers they were friends with.

*--..--*

The move from San Francisco to LA was swift and as quick as cutting a prized ribbon. Unfortunately not much could be said for San Francisco, which was a shame for Lacey. She’d enjoyed it fair enough but nothing had stood out to her. She found herself looking out for memory making events like the ones she had from Paris and Amsterdam, of course the main element in those memories was Ollie and without him, new memories of the same degree couldn’t be formed.

She often thought she’d hate LA; she viewed it as the home of the stars and the home of the partying scandals to the rich and famous. In actual fact it was just a normal city, granted Lacey found it a bit on the boring side and it was so open that you couldn’t really escape the heat. However it was nice to see the horizon and not have the view clouded by a million high rise buildings. For the duration of the five days they had in LA, they were taking up residence in a large house – the surrounding members of crew booking out a nearby hotel – instead of being confined to their tour buses. The house was magnificent but Lacey couldn’t help but feel conflicted by her presence within it. The end of the five days would be the party where Lacey was sure nothing would go to plan.

The closer it got to the big LA party, the more Lacey regretted talking to her friends about how the break-up between herself and Tom. In fact she sort of regretted agreeing to date Tom in the first place. If she was honest with herself she’d say that it really wasn’t doing her any favours and that she wasn’t into the whole revenge things as much as she thought she would be. She thought she could get her revenge and get over Ollie at the same time but it hadn’t quite worked the way that she hoped. She was getting her revenge but she wasn’t over Ollie, not by a long shot.  

Tom and Lacey had been spending a lot of time together and to everyone else it seemed as though they were smitten with each other – well to everyone that didn’t know the truth behind the dating – and Lacey knew people involved were looking forward to a big bust up. Lacey was becoming increasingly more nervous and more inclined to think that this wasn’t a good idea. She had thought that she’d come back stronger but she seemed to still be deferring to others when she should be making her own decisions about her life.

The night of the party came far too quickly for Lacey. She’d enjoyed time with her girls and time with the boys. Apart from the looming party, she was feeling rather good lately, happier, more complete and felt more like herself. Despite her mixed feelings for the party, she’d dressed up – and this time without the help of Jenny. She wore a floral summer dress that had a pattern of flowers trailing from the bottom to the top of the dress. She teamed it with purple platform heels and a purple blazer. Her make-up was subtle and there was little of it. When she revealed her chosen outfit to the girls Jenny actually clapped, she was apparently impressed by Lacey’s choice of outfit, apparently Lacey had passed some sort of test and she suspected that this would mean she would now get to dress herself more often.