#13 A night in the Scorch [Scorch Trials]

(y/n) had lied on her side, used her arm as a pillow while she clutched the other one tightly to her chest. She had her eyes closed, but wasn't asleep. It was hard to fall asleep when she was lying on the hard ground of the Scorch, but she had no other choice. No one did, really.

They had taken shelter in some abandoned settlement they found on their way, already miles away from WICKED's facility. That didn't make them feel better, though.

The small campfire they had was already out, just a few ashes remained there. (y/n)'s eyes popped open and her gaze focused on the ashes, a quiet sigh escaping her lips. It wasn't anything new that she couldn't sleep. It wasn't the first night they had to spend there, but as if it was.

She sat up slowly, mindful of the others actually sleeping. She envied them. Especially Thomas: he was actually snoring.

(y/n) rolled her eyes as she stood up silently, careful not to disturb Minho's sleeping figure, who was right next to her. She looked around her, saw them all deep asleep. She took a few steps away from them silently, but no one seemed to notice her moving. (y/n) was grateful.

She turned around completely and walked away from the group, tightening her jacket around her slightly; it was so cold in the desert at night. She walked until she reached the outside. Glancing around boringly, (y/n) took in the immensity of the desert ahead of her: the Scorch. All sand, left to right, most of the abandoned buildings and small settlements were practically buried under it, only a few entrances were visible if someone looked farther enough.

(y/n) sat down softly on the sand and stared into space, not really interested on the scene displayed in front of her. She just let her mind go free, thought of everything and anything that crossed her head. She didn't care if she spent the whole night like that. It was much better than to lie around on the hard ground fruitlessly trying to sleep.

* * *

A loud snore pulled Minho from his deep slumber, making him groan loudly in annoyance. His hand flew around in the air and hit Thomas square in the face, making the dark haired boy let out a yelp as he sat up, panting nervously.

"Ya shank need to be quieter or I'll shucking threw you to the Cranks!" Minho hissed, punching Thomas in the shoulder sleepily.

"Sorry, sorry!" Thomas whispered-yelled, scooting a bit away from Minho and lying back down again.

Minho rolled his eyes and shifted position, lied on his side and got comfortable again–as comfortable as sleeping on the hard ground could be. And it was then when he noticed that (y/n) was missing.

Frowning worryingly, he quickly sat up and look around their small campsite, but she wasn't there, nor nearby, in fact. Minho stood up silently, rolled his eyes when he heard a soft snore leave Thomas's fast asleep figure, but didn't bother to wake him up again.

He had other priorities now.

Minho got slightly nervous when after a few minutes of walking around the settlement he still had no idea of where (y/n) could've gone.

"Where are you?" he mumbled, narrowing his eyebrows. He shivered at the cold air as he walked, soon reached the outside. He stepped out slightly, looking around him.

"Min?"

Minho turned around and looked down, saw (y/n) sitting just a few feet away from him, her back against the wall. She had her legs propped up and hugged by her arms tightly against her chest and was looking up at him, confused.

"(y/n), you shuck-face!" Minho sighed in relief, but glared at her slightly. "You scared me! Why are you out here?"

"I'm sorry... I just couldn't sleep..." (y/n) mumbled and looked down, buried her face in her knees.

Minho felt slightly bad for talking to her like that, but he had been so worried of her. He quickly walked towards her and sat down next to her, pulled her in his arms tightly. She hugged him back just as tight, buried her face in his chest and neck. Minho knew she had been thinking hard about their situation. She was nervous, he could feel it.

"Everything will be alright, (y/n)," Minho whispered in her ear, rubbing her back comfortingly. "You'll see."

"I hope you're right, Min," she mumbled, tightened her grip on him.

"Well, no matter what happens, I'll always be there with you. Good that, shank?"

"Good that."

"Then let's go back inside. I'm freezing out here," he chuckled. 

Pulling (y/n) up with him, they both walked inside and silently made their way back to the group. As they got closer, Minho let out a tired sigh as a loud snore reached his ears.

"That shank..." he muttered under his breath as he kicked softly Thomas's leg, making the former Runner stir a bit in his sleep. Magically, he stopped snoring.

"I wish I could sleep like him," (y/n) mumbled as she lied down on the hard ground again, Minho right in front of her.

"I'd hate you if you slept like him," Minho scoffed quietly. "He snores so loudly!"

"So do you," (y/n) smirked, earning a roll of eyes from Minho. "I love you, anyway."

"Good," Minho smirked and brought (y/n) back into his arms, almost laying her on top of him. She wrapped her arms around him and placed her head on his chest, right underneath his chin.

She didn't know if it was Minho's steady heartbeat what lulled her to sleep, or his fingers brushing through her hair softly again and again, but she certainly managed to fall asleep.

All she needed was Minho to be her pillow.