#8 The girl from the Maze [Maze Runner] [Part 1/3]

-

Minho stood by the still closed doors of the Maze, warming up

Minho stood by the still closed doors of the Maze, warming up. He had Ben and Harry by his side, both of them also doing some exercises, getting ready for their daily run.

The Keeper didn't know why he still kept going into the Maze if it was always the same.

Always the same corridors.

Always the same ivy hanging off the walls.

Always the same dull grey colour surrounding him, a colour that he started to hate not too long after arriving in the Glade.

But he still went out there and tried to find something different. Something new, something that they hadn't had found yet. It was his job. It was the Runners' job: Try to find a way out.

He sighed quietly just as the rumbling of the gears started, the doors grew slowly apart. Minho was the first one to enter the Maze, the gap between the doors merely was big enough for him to go through. Ben and Harry followed him straight away, but didn't stick around him for too long – they took different paths just a couple of minutes later.

Without hesitation, The Keeper ran to the section he had to run that day – Section Five. He already knew that section perfectly, like the back of his hand, but he gave it another try. He didn't have anything to lose, but time. And he didn't care about time, if someone asked him.

He went through the section fast, his gaze examining the tall walls around him, the floor right below him, the green ivy concealing most of the walls – he examined everything again, but to no avail. Everything was the exact same as last time.

He took some more turns and kept on running for hours before stopping at a random spot, just when he started to feel slightly sore. He let his back slide down the wall of the Maze as he sat down on the ground, exhausted. He had closed his eyes as he did so, trying to even out his breathing.

When he opened his eyes again, he glanced around him and up the wall right in front - he saw a beetle blade staring right at him then, from in between the ivy. Its red eyes zoomed in and out as it watched him intently, didn't move an inch. Minho stared at the silver bug back, half angry and half curious.

Angry because he hated the fact that the people who sent them all there were watching them, and not doing anything to help them out.

And curious because he had never seen a beetle blade inside the Maze before. It was the first time he encountered one of those devices inside the Maze so far. Not that he noticed any of those bugging silvery things before around the Maze.

Minho stood up and approached it slowly, but the beetle blade quickly ran off, dropping to the ground and moving fast through the corridor. The Keeper sighed tiredly, not surprised about the beetle blade's reaction. He followed it, nonetheless, as fast as he could.

Why on earth there was a beetle blade inside the Maze it was something he ignored, but he was sure it had to mean something. Something important. He was looking for something different inside the Maze, and maybe the beetle blade was that something. Maybe if he followed the bug around, he'd find a new clue.