#3 Unloved [Maze Runner] [PART 1/2]

(y/n) stared into space, her face holding no emotion.

She was sitting outside the Homestead, on the ground, her back against the wooden wall of the three-storey building.

She could hear the Gladers shouting at times, working, laughing on occasion. And she remembered how she used to do that before, despite the situation she'd been thrown in. How she used to laugh and smile every single day.

Now it was different.

And all because of one boy.

(y/n)'s gaze landed on the still open doors of the Maze, and followed the fast moving figure that came out of them at that moment. The figure ran fast towards the Map Room, and disappeared inside, closing the door firmly afterwards.

And that figure would not come out of the Map Room until it was night time. And not even then. (y/n) already knew who that figure was.

The Keeper of the Runners. The boy she loved with all her heart. Or at least she thought she did. 

Now she wasn't sure anymore.

Things had changed between them, and (y/n) couldn't tell when, nor how. Or why. She never tried to speak those things out, because she was afraid that those were just her imagination. Maybe she was wrong and everything was fine. But with time, she knew it wasn't.

(y/n) stood up from her sitting position and walked towards the Map Room, rehearsing her next words carefully. She needed to know what was going on inside the Keeper's head, but she had to do that nicely. She didn't want to incriminate him for not paying attention to her. She understood the Maze was his number one priority. The possibility of finding an exit to that place remained on the Runners' shoulders, especially the Keeper's.

(y/n) stood in front of the door and inhaled deeply before knocking on it. She heard a muffled voice telling her to come in from inside, and she did as told. Because she was the Keeper of the Runners' love partner, she had total freedom to come and go into the Map Room as she pleased. Often she would do that to try to convince Minho to go to have something for dinner, nothing else.

(y/n) entered the room and closed the door behind her softly. She then looked around the room and noticed Minho there, standing by the table, a few maps displayed on it as he scribbled on a blank piece of paper. He didn't even look up, he just continued to draw on the paper.

"Hey, Minho," (y/n) greeted and smiled. "I just saw you coming out of the Maze... Anything new?"

"No."

And (y/n) sighed. Nowadays, he either answered her with short sentences or one-word replies, or... not even that, but a simple hum.

"Minho..." (y/n) called.

The Keeper looked up briefly from the paper and glanced at her, his eyebrows furrowed together. "Yeah?"

"What's wrong?" she asked. She surprised herself of how monotone her voice had sounded, and it seemed like Minho did notice that too, as his expression softened as he stood up.

"Nothing," he said quietly. "Why?"

"Don't tell me that nothing is wrong, Minho, because that is obviously a lie," (y/n) crossed her arms over her chest and sighed. "You've acting strange lately. And lately means for the past few weeks."

"No, I haven't," Minho frowned. "Why do you say that?"

"Minho... I get it that the Maze is all you have in mind, but... You've changed," (y/n) whispered that last part. "You don't... I don't know anymore. We were so happy before, what has happened to us?" she asked, her voice quivering at some points.