3.2 Unloved [Maze Runner] [PART 2/2]

It wouldn't take Minho too long to realise the big mistake he had made by letting go of the thing he loved the most.

It changed him the fact that he didn't have the love of his life waiting for him every day by the doors like she used to, or didn't get to see that beautiful smile of hers whenever she saw him, despite whatever she was doing. It changed him completely.

And his fellow Runners noticed his change of behaviour straight away. He wasn't the sassy Glader he used to be. In fact, he barely talked. He just talked a bit when they were discussing something about the Maze, but that would be it. And he'd be gone for the rest of the night.

And that was another thing they noticed too, not only the Runners, but every Glader in the Glade, and (y/n) as well; the Keeper no longer slept by the Homestead. Wherever he went, no one knew. They just saw him run into the Maze every morning, like any other day, ready and geared up as always. He'd come back late in the evening, spend some time at the Map Room, and then disappear. Just that.

Alby and Newt had asked him more than once what had happened, what had him so down and... different. Minho always replied with a shrug.

The leaders, and practically the whole Glade, knew nothing about (y/n)'s and Minho's break up. Only Chuck knew, because he was (y/n)'s closest friend there, and he always managed to make (y/n) talk about her deepest worries. But Chuck didn't want anyone to know about this unless (y/n) wanted, and she definitely did not. The Gladers had enough to handle and take care of already, they didn't need another thing to worry about.

And this lasted two weeks.

Minho was already running back to the Glade as usual. And he was late. Very late. He didn't know if he did it on purpose or if he just did lose track of time for real, but he had been arriving late for the past week, every single day, causing a commotion in the Glade each time. It wasn't his thing to get back late from the Maze.

But he was late.

And today it was way too late.

The Gladers, most of them, were already gathered by the doors, waiting for his arrival. Newt was at the front, Alby right next to him. The Runners were there too, as well as Chuck and Jeff. A few more Gladers were there, Slicers and Baggers most of them.

But Minho didn't get the chance to see them. As previously said, he was late. So late that he didn't even get to see the doors closing for the night. When he got to them, they were already closed shut. And he didn't really care.

He stood in front of the closed doors, emotionless staring at them up and down. Why couldn't he feel anything? Why was he so empty? He knew why. He had lost his reason to live. He didn't care anymore if he did find an exit to the Maze, it didn't matter anymore: not when he didn't have (y/n) next to him, there with him. She wasn't.

She was gone.

And with her, his reason to fight, to live, to keep on going. Maybe that was the reason why he was stuck in the Maze. Maybe it was already his time to die, now that he was alone.

"I should've treated you better," he mumbled as he pressed his back against the stone doors, slid down slowly until he sat on the cold floor of the Maze, darkness already taking over the place. "I should've paid more attention to you. You were – are – more important than this shucking place..."

It is ironic, really, how someone realises what they once had at the very moment they lose it, and not before. Minho had so much once, and wasn't able to handle it. Not properly. And now that he understood, he had already lost it all.