#14 Pinky Promise [Maze Runner]

The Keeper of the Runners let out a big sigh of relief the moment his eyes finally sighted the Glade at the end of the corridor, and sprinted one last time so he could get to the big clearing quicker

The Keeper of the Runners let out a big sigh of relief the moment his eyes finally sighted the Glade at the end of the corridor, and sprinted one last time so he could get to the big clearing quicker. It wasn't late; in fact, he was early, as the maze doors would not close until an hour later. He was just tired of running all day, and all he wanted was to get his work done in the Map Room so he could finally go to the Kitchens and eat something—his stomach was already growling, craving food.

Once he reached the Glade, Minho slowed down to a slight jog and headed directly to the Map Room. Thomas was already there, working on his maps. As soon as he saw the Asian boy walk in the room, Thomas smiled.

"Welcome back," he greeted him and chuckled as he saw Minho throwing his running gear into a crate and sighing heavily. "Bad day?"

"Nope, just tired of running..." Minho mumbled and leaned over the table with some of his own maps. "I can't wait to get this done so I can grab something from the Kitchens..."

"Same here." Thomas chuckled again and focused back on his maps.

Minho took some unused papers and sat across from Thomas, pencil in hand. As soon as he started scribbling on the paper, a shiver shook his figure. His brow creased as he stopped his hand and focused solely on the weird and uncomfortable feeling that conquered his insides just then.

Thomas must've noticed his odd behaviour, as he was quick to place a hand on his forearm. "Are you okay, shank?" he asked.

Although he was right there sitting next to Minho, his voice sounded far away. Minho was still trying to understand this newfound feeling that shook his insides and that ever so slowly started to fade, leaving behind a trail of uneasiness and discomfort.

Thomas, upon not receiving any response from the Keeper, shook him harshly. Minho snapped out of his trance and looked up at Thomas with wide eyes, as if he'd had a sudden revelation. Thomas raised an eyebrow inquisitively, slightly weirded out by the Runner's behaviour. "Are you alright?"

Minho shook his head. "I... I just..." He put the pencil on the table, and raised his hands as he fisted them tightly. "I... I have a feeling that something's wrong." He admitted, finally. "I don't know why, but I just feel it."

He met the brunet's eyes again as another thought crossed his mind, making his heart beat at the speed of light. He darted his gaze all around the Map Room, which wasn't so big—except for them, it was empty of Runners. This meant that either they had all already finished their work there, or some were still running the Maze. One of them, he knew, was definitely still in the Maze—someone he cared for truly, deeply.

Before Thomas could question him any further, a loud, ear-piercing shriek shook the entire Glade, making most of the Gladers freeze. Everyone was aware that the doors to the Maze were not closed yet, and hearing a Griever's scream before said doors closed was clearly a bad sign; the Griever's moans sounded way too close to the Glade.