#8.3 The girl from the Maze [Maze Runner] [3/3]

-

*** two months later ***

"Why not?"

"I told you; you're not ready."

(y/n) glared at Minho as she crossed her arms over her chest, huffing. Minho looked at her boringly, raising an eyebrow slightly as he rolled his eyes at her stubborn attitude.

He had been training (y/n) to be a Runner for more or less two weeks during the evenings. After telling her everything about the Maze, she was very interested in working with the Runners—to help them find a way out. Minho didn't see why she would not help them, so he started training her. And she did a pretty good job at her training, she was better than any other Runner, in Minho's opinion.

But after training her, spending so much time together, he ended up regretting his own decision. He regretted nominating her to become a Runner in that Gathering, and regretted it when Newt and Alby actually accepted. He had lots of regrets. Yet, even after all that had been done in her favour, he still refused to let her become an official Runner.

And the reason was simple; he loved her.

It was obvious that every Glader had his eyes on her—she was the only girl in the Glade. But Minho saw her differently. She wasn't just another poor soul trapped in a Maze among isolated hormonal boys. She was way more than that. Something that Minho couldn't explain with words. Something that only he was able to see, because of all the time he had spent with her.

When he realised this, when he realised what had happened, he didn't know what to do. He had developed feelings for her without even noticing, and by the time he realised it, it was too late—he had fallen for her, and hard.

He had thought of avoiding her, so maybe his feelings would fade and go away. But he wasn't able to ignore her. And she always looked for him, waited for him to come back from the Maze every evening, every day. She was always there, a smug smile on her face.

"Took you long, shank!" she'd always say and smirk. "Do whatever you have to do and help me with my training, ya shuck face."

Minho loved that side of her, her fierce and sassy side. A side that had slowly but surely come out once she got comfortable in the Glade, once she felt like she belonged. She was the typical sweet, caring and innocent girl, shy at times, but also she was the exact opposite of that. But most importantly, she cared. She cared for everyone deeply.

Even when at the beginning she had acted a little too cold towards the others, she soon changed and started caring.

And the Keeper, somewhat, somehow, managed to get to her soft side first. He was the only one she went to when she wanted to talk, about everything and anything. When she needed someone to listen to her, she knew Minho was the one. Like a best friend. And being her best friend was better than being nothing.

However, his heart and soul were screaming at him to confess his true feelings.

Minho thought for a moment as he took the maps from the table and put them all inside the crate, closing it afterwards. (y/n) was still standing there, slightly aggravated.

"Minho..." she said, threateningly.

Minho shook his head. "I said no, (y/n): not yet. Another week and then I'll think about it."

"Another week!?"

"The Maze is a dangerous place, (y/n)! It's not a game, and you know that!" Minho replied quite loudly.

(y/n) stared at him and let her arms hang by her sides. "But I'm ready! You know how fast I am already!"

"It's not all about being the fastest," Minho sighed. "You have to be both strong and fast, agile and flexible, quick-minded and meticulously careful about your moves. You're getting there eventually, but you need more training."

(y/n) sighed tiredly and closed her eyes, shaking her head. "There's more to it, right?" she said softly, looking up at him again. "There's more than you are letting me know."

Minho looked down at the table as he leaned on it with his hands. Of course there is, he thought, sighing mentally.

"I can see it in your eyes, Minho," she continued as she walked to him. "You have another reason that stops you from letting me become a Runner. What's that reason?" she demanded.

Minho didn't say a word. He was contemplating whether to tell her the real reason or if just stick to his previous plan. His silence made (y/n) scoff, annoyed.

"Is it because I'm a girl?" she asked.

And Minho still remained quiet.

"I knew it. Because I'm a girl you don't think I can handle myself," she mumbled, angrily. "Well, I've been shucking handling all of you boys quite well for two shucking months, which I think it's worse than being in the Maze," she said.

Minho stood upright and looked at her, emotionless.

"Just admit it's because I'm a girl!" she shouted at him, exasperated.

"It's because I shucking love you, not because you're a girl!" Minho quickly spat. (y/n) stared at him in shock. "I care for you more than I do for any other shank here, and it's hard to choose whether to let you be what you want to be or make you stay here, safe!" Minho finally explained, sighing loudly as he finished.

(y/n) just kept looking at him, not believing what she was witnessing. Minho didn't know what to think then—he was wondering if he had done the right thing, confessing everything that way.

But before he could even speak up, (y/n) cupped his face and kissed him fiercely. It took him by surprise, but reacted in time to kiss her back just as fiercely before she pulled away, enough to look into his eyes and smirk at him.

"I love you too, shank." She said. "But this won't stop me from going out there and help you find a way out." She quickly added.

Minho chuckled and smiled, quickly he embraced her tightly and nuzzled his nose in her soft hair. "I know it won't stop you." He mumbled. "I know it won't." 

At least now you know how much I love you, he thought, smiling.

-