Hanaki Disease (Stridercest)

Dave's P.O.V.

  I felt my chest clinch and I ran to the bathroom, gagging heavily until finally the beautiful white rose petals fell from my lips.
  I took a shaky breath and leaned back against the wall. It was getting harder to breathe every time now.
  "Dave?" A worried voice echoed through the house. Thankfully it wasn't Dirk, instead John came rushing into the bathroom. "Dave... " He trailed off, looking at the pedals, and then to my drained face.
  "I can't tell him... " I whispered. "And I refuse to get them removed. I'll lose my feelings for him."
  "But-"
  "John, I won't even look at him the same way!" I cried, tears starting to fall down my flushed cheeks. "I c-can't do it!"
  He sighed and I could tell he was debating what to say.
  "Almost two years now, right?" John said quietly. "Dave, you're going to kill yourself... You have two more months at the most before they suffocate you!"
  "I don't care! I-" My voice shut off as the front door opened and closed. I quickly flushed the petals down the toilet, unsteadily climbing to my feet.
  "Dave I'm home!" Dirk called, his foot steps echoing down the hall. God, he always did walk really heavily. I smiled a bit at the thought and my chest clinched again.
  John's eyes widened seeing the pained expression I must have gotten at the feeling. I shook my head and wiped my tears away, knowing I most likely still had tear stains and red patches on my cheeks.
  "I-in here!" I called back, leaning slightly on John. I already felt like I couldn't breathe just knowing Dirk was around.
  You see, Hanaki disease starts when you love someone but the love isn't necessarily returned. Their favorite flower begins to grow in your lungs until you either find out they love you back, you get them cut out, or they suffocate you.
  "Dave you can't even breathe now!" John hissed.
  "Shut up! I can't do anything John!" I whisper yelled back.
  "Yes you can!" His voice raised. "Get the surgery or tell him!"
  "Tell who what?" Dirk asked, now standing in the doorway.
  "Nothing!" I said quickly, covering John's mouth with my hand. John shoved my hand away, glaring at me.
  "Dave has Hanaki disease!" John said with a harsh look my way.
  "John!" I cried, shoving him. "You promised not to say anything!"
  Everyone seemed up freeze as I looked at Dirk. John knew he had messed up, a small apology coming from him.
  "John... I think it's best you leave for now. I'll pester you later," I managed to get out before I went into a coughing fit. I covered my mouth and curled the petals into my fist tightly once they came out.
  "Dave please... We already lost Aradia... " John sighed, wiping under his eyes before walking out. Aradia had died after she let lilies suffocate her, Sollux's favorite flower. The soft click of the front door seemed to echo through the house in the intense silence.
  "Dave, how long?" Dirk asked after seconds of silence.
  "Almost two years now. In two months it'll be two years... " I whispered, tears trailing down my cheeks.
  "Dave! You die after two years! You have to... To tell them! Or get them removed! Something!" Dirk exclaimed, looking shocked.
  "I'm not getting rid of them! You have no idea who they're for, or even what it's like to have them! To look at someone the way I look at... at him," I sobbed, having to catch myself from say "how I look at you".
  "I can't lose you Dave, I refuse to!" He growled softly.
  "You're the one killing me!" I nearly screamed, collapsing into a fit gagging and this time when those beautiful petals came out Dirk saw them.
  "Dave... " He managed to whisper.
  "Sh-shut up! Just shut up!" I heaved, my vision dotting with black dots. More petals fell from my lips, causing me to gasp for air.
  Dirk lifted me up, holding me close to his chest. This of course in turn made me completely black out, Dirk's smell of metal, cologne, and something I couldn't identify surrounding me.

  I woke up almost four hours later, still surrounded by Dirk's strong scent. I looked around and realized I wasn't laying in my own bed, instead I was in a pool of silky white sheets with a orange duvet covering me.
  I reached up and realized my shades were missing as well. I was in Dirk's room for sure, his desk cluttered with robot parts.
  I smiled and nuzzled into the pillow under me, making sure to take a deep breath.
  Wait...
  I took another deep breath and shot up. I could breathe normally again, and I felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my chest.
  I got slightly dizzy from sitting up so fast so I decided to just try and relax against the pillows.
  "I was wondering if you were even going to wake up."
  I jumped at the voice and whipped my head to the side, seeing Dirk standing in the doorway.
  "I can breathe... " I said softly. "Why can I breathe?"
  "Because I love you too," Dirk laughed gently, causing my heart to flutter. "You just never gave me time to say it. I told you just before you passed out, do you not remember?"
  "I... Not really," I said sheepishly. "I just remember everything going black... "
  I looked down, fiddling with the covers. My chest swelled up with joy and I felt tears start rolling down my cheeks again.
  "Why are you crying?" Dirk asked, worry evident in his voice. "Are you upset? Did I say something or... " He trailed off, sitting down on his bed beside me.
  "I just... God no! You didn't do anything wrong!" I cried, laughing a bit. "I'm so happy and relieved, and I'm not going to die!"
  I lurched forward and wrapped my arms around Dirk's shoulders, hugging him tightly. He instantly held me close to him, pulling me into his lap. Dirk rocked me back and forth slowly.
  "Shhh, baby I'm so sorry," He mumbled into my hair. "I love you so much, I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I'm sorry you had to hurt for so long."
  I sobbed quietly and nuzzled into his chest, hiding myself there. I hadn't done this in years, hid myself into Dirk's taller frame and cried myself out.
  "It's n-not your fault," I hiccuped, smiling despite my tears.
  "I love you," He murmured again, brushing back my bangs and kissing my forehead.
  "I love you too," I laughed softly, hiccuping again.
  Dirk tilted my head up and began wiping away my tears, mumbling sweet nothings and kissing my cheeks and my forehead, even the tip of my nose.
  "I love you, I love you, I love you," I mumbled over and over, leaning into his touch. I worshipped every single whisper of 'I love you too' for each of mine.
  "No more worrying for you, got it? The doctor said it'll take a few weeks for your lungs to completely recuperate from the flowers considering yours almost killed you," Dirk said sternly, his voice laced with a hint of worry.
  "That means you don't need to worry either," I muttered into his shoulder. I left a soft kiss there. "I feel fine, really. I feel great."
  "That's good," Dirk nodded, cupping my cheek and pulling me back a little. "Can I kiss you?" He asked softly, looking into my eyes.
  I managed to nod, feeling my stomach erupt with butterflies. I could feel my cheeks heating up as he kept one hand on my cheek while the other caressed my waist.
  He leaned closer until I could feel his soft breaths against my lips. I leaned up and closed the small gap between us, kissing him softly and almost shyly. Embarrassingly enough, I'd never really kissed anyone... Yeah, me and Karkat kissed when we were 12, but it was a quick peck. Not like the deep kiss Dirk was pulling me into.
   I didn't pull away though. I leaned in closer to him, kissing back softly as I caught on quickly. My head felt like it was spinning as I wrapped my arms around Dirk's shoulders.
   He pulled back a little sooner than I wanted, but I knew if I had the choice I'd never stop kissing him.
   "You know that was my first real kiss right... " I murmured, my cheeks flushing even darker.
   "You've never kissed anyone?" Dirk asked, a small smile tugging on his lips.
   "Shut up... " I giggled, shoving him playfully. "Karkat and I kissed for like 2 seconds when we were 12."
   "Well, that doesn't count, Sunflower," Dirk murmured, pulling me back into another warm kiss. I couldn't help but smile at the little nickname Dirk gave me when I was seven, kissing back gently.
   I just wish Aradia had the same happy ending as I did.