The Universe Knows

Start from the beginning

I giggled and I felt myself yawn.

"No! I wasn't scared! I was merely confused on what species it was!"

"You're so cute!" My mother said passionately. I frowned and almost forgot they both left each other. I left the video and noticed there were hundreds... Of videos...

I gaped and felt myself smile. I selected a random video from twenty-two years ago!?
My heart skipped a beat and I soon realised that this video was after Thorgy left my mother. And the videos I just watched are so much older, and there was only one explanation as to why my mother would possibly keep this camera and have over one hundred videos on here. I clicked the little centre button on the camera and selected the twenty-two-year-old video. I bit my nail and almost broke it, noticing a small little human that was curled in my mother's lap. Was it me? I mean it had to be me because--It's from twenty-two years ago. I looked so-- adorable!? I looked to be drinking out of a milk bottle and I was smiling so brightly. I now know what my mother meant by small little face and how cute it was. I felt tears dwell in my eyes, and the screen turned blurry.

"Look't you!" I heard my mother finally speak, a gentle nurturing tone in her voice. I couldn't help myself but to come off and select another one, I don't care how tired I was, I'll watch as many as I can. I seem to be a toddler in this one, perhaps 3? I'm sitting down, drawing on some paper with cheap-looking Crayola pencils. My mother was laughing at how badly I was failing at drawing just a square.

"Cracker! What is that?" She chimed.

"A shitty square!" I said to the screen, laughing after. My fetus self just giggled that toddler laugh and scribbled over my masterpiece. I snickered to myself and heard my mother laugh in the video.

"You're going to be an artist!" She said humorously, my toddler self just continued to scribble in blue pencil. I noticed the screen turn black and everything was submerged in darkness. It must have run out of battery life, and my flashlight has stopped working... No...

"Shit-" I hissed, not being able to see anything. I felt around, but that was no use. I began to panic, not even gaining the slightest bit of night vision us humans are meant to be born with. I saw nothing but obsidian black and I was utterly terrified. I stood up, and took one step back, my heel hitting the fabric of clothes. I leapt forwards in shock, hitting the front of my skull against the cold hard bricks of the wall. I cried out at the sudden shock of pain and fell to the floor. I covered my forehead with my hands and cried out. "MOM!" I screamed, hoping her or Aquaria would find or hear me. I heard thumping from above me minutes after and I felt relief soothe my pain. "Mom!" I yelled more relaxed, I heard the door squeak and a dim ray of light flooded the whole room. I whined in pain, hearing my mothers heavy breaths and her loud stomping from storming down the stone staircase.

"Baby!?'

" mom! I'm sorry! I didn't mean to snoop-" I gasped and felt her strong arms wrap around me.

"What the fuck are you doing down here!?" My mother said coldly, pulling away and inspecting my body. "What happened!?"

"Mom! I found some really important stuff!" I smiled and she sighed, rolling her eyes.

"And here I am, thinking you were hurt."

"I was! I hurt my head on the wall! It was so dark!" I saw her expression Change almost drastically.

"It's okay, I'll dash up and get some ice okay?" My mother kissed my head and stood up, quickly dashing back up the stairs. I smiled and looked back into the box: there was a notebook! And some pictures! I took out the notebook first and opened the first page, the words were written in italics and I couldn't read it at all! This wasn't my mother's handwriting, it must be someone else's. I frowned and sighed, noticing the other pages were blank. The photos were ones of landscapes, no actual people in them.

My mother came back down with a towel, which probably had ice inside of it. I smiled and she crouched down, placing it on my head.

"Are you alright?" She whispered, making me smile bigger.

"Yes! I found some really important things down here!" I took the towel from her hand, keeping in on my bruised head. She chuckled and nodded slowly.

"I mean, I noticed you have this old camera I used to own. I don't need it anymore but I've always kept it. Thorgy got it for me." She said sadly, picking it up and inspected it with curious eyes.

"I've seen some!" I sat closer to her and she chuckled weakly, her hand wrapping around my waist.

"So you've seen Thorgy?" She looked at me with a hopeful smile. I nodded and hugged her tightly.

"I'm sorry you guys aren't together anymore. I really want you to be happy! So, I came down here trying to look for things that Thorgy might have had or even a phone number!" 

"Sweetheart- You want to get me and Thorgy back together!? After twenty-four years or so?" My mother looked down at me in shock, but I had to tell her the truth, I couldn't let my mother feel so lonely anymore, it's not fair that I have someone I love but she doesn't, after all the hard effort the puts into taking care of my cursed body.

"Yes! You need someone to love you and-"

"What's wrong with you!?" She said sternly. "You don't even know why we broke up and you think you can just magically make us fall in love again? or even find her?" 

I stared up at her in fear and shock, she shook her head and turned away from me. 

"I think you should sort yourself out and go to sleep." My mother stood up and walked out, with the camera in her tight grip. I didn't hear the door close, and luckily she must have been considerate and gave me the choice of staying down here or not. She didn't want anything to do with me now; why did I think this was a good idea? What was the argument about? 

I slowly peeked back into the box and there were just old clothes. There was no way I could make this work, or find this person at all, my mother was right--I'm not magic and think there must be something wrong with me. I sniffled and stood up, walking over to my box and picking it up, still holding the towel to my head, only it hurt worse and my headache grew more painful. I sadly walked back up the stairs and felt warmth hit me like a wave, I closed the door and looked around, not hearing or seeing anyone. I felt my hand get soaked in wet from the melted ice, I groaned and placed the towel on the radiator, wiping my hands on the dry parts.

I held the box close and walked calmly into the living room, where Aquaria had fallen asleep on the couch. Her arm hanging off the side delicately, she looked truly adorable. I walked over to her and kissed her head, before heading to my room.