Tick Tock (11)

Chapter Eleven

Tiffany

I was relaxing, leaning against the kitchen worktop, chatting away to people I had got to know over the course of the evening.  Robbie was there too, butJamie andDarren were nowhere to be seen.

I paused as I looked around the kitchen, because I thought I just saw... no.  It couldn’t be.  Jamie and Darren, dancing together on the dance floor, really close? No – but yes! It was them!  Darren and Jamie were awfully close – I could just imagine Jamie’s ecstatic face and the grin that would be plastered all over it.  She would be so excited that Darren was so close, showing some attraction towards her.  I could see the look on his face – I had noticed it growing recently, showing his feelings building up and eventually, he’d explode, and they’d be together.

Oh!  I was so happy for her! I grinned to myself as Darren’s hand crept down towards Jamie’s bum.

“Robbie?” I asked, taking his hand and dragging him away from the crowd.

“Hmm?” he responded, inviting me to continue.

“How would you feel about Darren and Jamie dating?” I asked.  “Just metaphorically, of course.”

“Of course,” Robbie responded, his eyes narrowing slightly.  “Well, I don’t know.  I’ve never thought of it before.  I suppose I’d have to be quite understanding, y’know, of Jamie’s feelings.  If Darren made her happy, why not? Know what I mean? Like, I would expect her to understand if I were to date one of her best friends.”

I just beamed at him, which seemed to unnerve him, as he said, “of course, this was all metaphorical, right? Just in theory, correct?”

“Sure,” I said, trying to appease him. “Sure it was.”

This gave me some hope for two reasons: if Robbie did realise he loved me, he’d be fine with dating me as he’d want Jamie to apply the understand rule to his relationship. Two: Jamie was free to get together with Darren, which would be amazing, because they’re such a sweet couple!

My smile widened and Robbie’s eyes narrowed.

“Is there something you’re not telling me, Tiffany Gold?” he asked.

“WELL!” I started dramatically.  “Where do I begi – no, nothing.” I smiled again, flashing my teeth. He looked at me disbelievingly, but I continued to look as innocent as possible.

Then I saw Jamie run past me with her eyes brimming with tears, her face dignified and strong, but her hands were tangled in her hair.

“Was that my sister?” asked Robbie, but I was no longer there. I was already following Jamie as she walked quickly away from the dance floor and threw herself up the stairs and into the bathroom that was now empty (there had been a naked couple in the bathtub earlier, but they had taken things elsewhere).

Just before Jamie closed the door, I slipped my foot in, preventing the door from closing, but crushing my foot. Jamie looked down at my foot, then up to my face. She silently opened the door and threw herself onto the toilet seat. I quickly entered and closed the door behind me, locking it in the process.

“Jamie?” I asked meekly. That was all I managed to fit in before the tears spilled over and went crashing down to the bathroom carpet. I said nothing else, but instead held my arms open wide for her to rush into and just cry.

When she eventually stopped crying, she had mascara tracks all down her face and her eyes were red and blotchy. She had saliva sticking to her slightly parted lips and she had a grotesque look on her face.

I never said I was good with comforting people – I’m just good with hugs.

When she was done and a bit calmer I timidly asked: “what happened?” She just shook her head, signalling she needed a few more seconds to compose herself before she could talk to me, so I said: “I saw you and Darren dancing together, and you looked like the perfect couple – he was getting really close and everything! His hand was even inching down to your arse. What happened so that you’re in such a state?”

“I don’t know!” she moaned. “It was going so well! I was really impressing him with my carefree attitude, and I was subtly flirting with the whole dancing thing. But I think I oozed slut or virgin. He treated me nicely at first, but then he started treating me like any other slut, and I didn’t know what to do! I’ve never been in that situation before, so I didn’t know how to react. I’m so confused, Tiff! He doesn’t make a move, but then when he’s at a party and drunk, his hands go wandering! How was I supposed to respond to that? I’ve never been kissed except when Simon surprised me with that snog at Drama! What the fuck, Tiff?”

“Aww, baby!” I muttered, pulling her in for a hug again. As she hugged me, I thought about how innocent she was. Then it was like a lit light bulb was held over my head. “We’re going to turn you into a right wee slut,” I muttered. Then I said it louder, a fully formed plan strolling into my mind. I pulled Jamie away from me and looked into her eyes. “We’re going to transform you into a girl no boy could possibly resist.”

“Like Mission Sexy?” Jamie asked, looking puzzled.

“Exactly!” I told her. “Mission drop-dead gorgeous, sexy and totally boy-licious!”

“That’s a bit of a long name,” Jamie said, screwing up her nose. “Can we just call it Mission Sexy?”

We laughed as I started to explain my clever plan.