Chapter 51: Back to Sneaking.

(Edited 8/5/18)
A/N: Oops, I forgot to warn you...but uh...smut.

"Aye, lock up! Lock up!" I yell before running my tongue over my retainer and shoving my mouth guard over it.

Checking the shot clock one more time, I dribble down the court, crossing the half court line, watching as everyone start to make screens.

     I move past the point guard for the other team, who ran into Tamara, and I see Hailey, open outside the arc. I chest pass to her and she drives towards the goal, making a layup.

The people in the bleachers scream and stomp when we score, putting us up by one. 73-72 with two minutes left. Our coach calls a timeout.

Walking over to the bench to sit down, I grab my water bottle. My bra is sticking to me from all the sweat. It's nasty. Tamara on the left side of me is in the same condition. Coach has put two of the Varsity girls I played with as second string, now that Tamara and Hailey are starters.

They are literal beasts on the court. They're really fun playing with, especially when we're winning, but right now, I'm concerned. "Was the first game a blowout or close like this?"

Tamara sets her water bottle down, patting her head. Hailey turns to join in the conversation. "It was a blowout."

"So it's me."

Before either of them could ask me what I was talking about, Coach comes over with a clipboard, showing us a drawing of how they're moving offensively.

"It's their ball," he yells to us since the crowd is so frantic and loud. "We need to press them hard, corner them and once they cross half court, we're man to man. I don't have time to work a failed zone!" He pats the clipboard, going in detail about how he's seen them work their offense.

"Galvin, you need to pull yourself back into the game! You've missed the first one from getting in trouble and the team has changed a bit, they need to understand your style of play. Let them know what's going on beforehand!" The buzzer goes off, letting us know our timeout is up and he heaves a big sigh.

"I swear to God if we lose all of your asses are going to be handed to you. Pull your shit together!" He tosses the clipboard to the assistant coach and curses when the assistant drops the board. I'm sure he said 'useless heap of flesh'.

The other team, the Lions, get the ball and we set up our defense. Hailey at the top of the key, with Tamara on her right, I'm on Hailey's left and the other girls, Talia and Naomi are at the bottom.

The whole time I stay guarding the forward for the Lions, poking the ball loose whenever she got the ball, and never leaving her when she tries to drive.

She crosses over, and I was too slow to move back. Cursing, I sprint closer to the basket with her and as she releases the ball to float it up, I jump to block her shot, but my fingers barely scraped the ball.

Fuck. I'm short.

Watching the ball go in the net felt like my world was crashing down. Everything went in slow motion, all the cheers from the crowd who were rooting for them, and the small section of people who showed up for us let out sounds of disappointment.

I glanced back at the coach who was shaking his head, anger and slight discouragement in his features when he looked up at the time that's left. 26 seconds.

Two possessions left.

73-74

Coach wanted to call a timeout, but I gave him a look that told him not to. I run over, calling Tamara and Hailey over to me. I take out my mouth guard.