Chapter 37: I wanna go home.

(Edited 7/28/18)
I'm definitely cursing him out later.

"I remember sitting at that cafe, next to the water taxi service. I was actually on a date. He was rather boring, I was dying to leave, but I didn't want to hurt his feelings." She scrunches up her face.

After the whole scolding of Liam and Donovan, Giorgia pulled me back into the kitchen for another cup of tea and brownies.

I like her already.

     "I saw this big group of people, they were obviously American. I think you know the story, don't you?"

     "Liam told me very briefly about what happened. So, Michael was a charmer, huh?" I smirk when I saw her eyes light up.

     "Oh, he was as smooth as Channing Tatum!" She squeals, making me laugh. "I couldn't speak English at the time, so he tried to speak Italian. It was a little shaky, but I found it so cute." She grins.

     I take another brownie before asking my next question. "So what made you two split up? Can I ask?" I say as respectfully as I can.

     "Oh stop with the manners." She waves me off and the leans on the kitchen counter behind her. "You know the whole Lily story. I'm sure you see me as a terrible person."

     "I wouldn't say that—"

     "Nope, I know you do. Let me guess, my son told you that I just left and didn't help paying for medical bills after a while, which resulted in him to take up fighting and all that stronzate? Excuse my language, I cursed like a sailor when I was younger." She pats her head, trying not to mess up the braid, but to scratch the itch.

     "Well, that sums it up. I don't see how you can call it bullshit, though?" I tilt my head to the side. Hey, she wanted me to cut the manners, you got it, honey bun.

     "Look, Jasmine. Liam told you from his perspective, you never got mine." She shrugs, going to pour herself another cup of tea.

     "Right, and a sixteen year old boy's mind isn't going to be the same as a woman of your age." I nod my head, seeing what she's saying.

     "Exactly. Now, don't get me wrong, I love my kids. I really do, Jasmine. I miss them so much." She shakes her head.

     All I can do is nod my head. "What happened that day, was so tragic. You know the story, I'm not going into details, but I'll tell you why I left."

     I stuff my face with another brownie, listening to her as she talks. "Michael is a coach, his salary is about as much as the janitor gets every two years."

     I almost choked on my food at the tone of her voice. "Lily's injury was serious. She had severe internal bleeding from that accident."

     That made my heart sink. I know exactly how it feels to lose someone, but honestly, I'd rather my brother and father be in the hospital bed than a vase. Call me selfish, I don't care.

     "She was paralyzed from the waist down, we thought she'd recover, though, and I was putting so much—Jasmine, every damn check I received was given to her.

     "Every single check! We were living off of Michael's little school checks for food, bills, clothes, anything other than the hospital." She hit her hand on the kitchen counter for emphasis.

     "And I'd be damned if I let Liam believe that I didn't do cazzo for my family, our family." She shakes her head. I'm starting to think that's her coping mechanism to keep from crying.