Fourteen

Her apartment was filled with a delicious aroma of traditional well-cooked food. The tv was on, replaying an old Rocky film. Her father was home too, yay. Non-sarcastically, Seulgi always loved her father.

"Mom, I'm home" Seulgi confirmed her arrival. A small body popped out from behind an opened doorway. Seulgi's five-foot mother walked up to her daughter and gave her a tight squeeze. Seulgi bent down and gave her a quick kiss to her forehead.

"I'm made your favorite stew, Eden" Her mother gushed showing her daughter the kitchen that was neatly cleaned, only with a big steaming pot on the stove. Seulgi's mother always called her by her English name instead of her birth name, which Seulgi never understand.

"Seulgi, How was your day?" A cheery old man came walking up to his youngest. Seulgi hugged her father and responded with a simple fine. Her father laughed.

"That's what you say every day" he pays her head and hands her a bowl from the cabinet. Her mother grabs the bowl away from her and fills it up with the stew. Seulgi wasn't hungry but couldn't resist her mother's cooking. Especially with the pieces of chicken in it.

"Thank you for the food" Seulgi thanked seating herself down and beginning to eat. The temperature didn't matter and although it was burning her tongue she still found it full of flavor.

Her parents filled the two empty seats at the table. Her mother and father talked about the drama that was invading their jobs. Seulgi mentally talked along, sometimes scolding the person who started the problem in her mind. Harry's voice entered her head saying it was none of her business.

Her spoon clicked to the bottom of the bowl where the vegetables she didn't eat were soaked in broth. She kicked her backpack and watched it fall. Her binders crashed against each other. Seulgi picked up her bowl and threw away the vegetables without getting herself shouted at by her mother.

"Oh! Seulgi" Her mother peeped excitedly. Seulgi froze in her spot and turned her heels to face her mother who smiled. Her father looked at her mother and locked hands together.

"Gian will be coming home soon to celebrate his promotion" Her father finished beaming with joy hearing that his firstborn son would be returning back home after four years.

Besides the two parents, Seulgi couldn't be any more depressed. Her older brother Gian, or by his real name, Jongin was coming back to Queens. The only reason is so he can show off about his new job and the new life he had in Washington with his fiancee. Who was expecting.

Jongin had his life planned out well. He was becoming a successful businessman as his baby sister was still trying to decide whether or not college would be the best for her.

Seulgi couldn't hate her older brother, but he never was there for her. Jongin is 27 and was ruthless as a teen. Seulgi's trust issues built and remained because of Jongin's selfishness. Peter adored Jongin. He always was his role model and stood up for Peter when his bullies teased him for being an orphan.

Seulgi grabbed her backpack and forgot her parents' presence. She had forgotten what her room looked like without her curtains covering the sun's path.

Seulgi belly flopped onto her soft cushion. Her face burrowed into her pillow where she waited for silence to pass by. The tv's volume increased, now she could wail without worrying. Her hands tipped over the family picture she had on her nightstand. It was always about Jongin. Even Peter paid more attention to him when he last came over.

"You're such a baby" Seulgi called herself wiping away the few tears that fell onto her pillow. She took her phone out and placed on a sweater. No matter what season, it was always freezing at night here in Queens.

She tiptoed out her room and behind the couch where her parents were seated at. It was dark in the apartment, the tv's light extended throughout the room.

"I'm going to head out f-for a walk" She swallowed hoping her parents couldn't hear her trouble.

"Ok, don't stay out too late" Her mother piped still glued to the screen.

It's only 4 in the afternoon. Seulgi wished she could stay with Peter the whole time until Jongin went back to Washington.

The future denied Seulgi's request. The future was full of darkness, not just because of her inner demons but because of something bigger. Thanos was coming.