One

A young girl trudged down the hallway in a dark olive colored trench coat, her phone in her right hand and her left hand on her backpack strap. One of her earbuds is placed in her right ear as the other jumps up and down on her side. The music helps, or so she says. It's the first day of school. After all, who wouldn't be anxious?

Her shoes trot down the stairs and out the entrance of the building. Her lips stay in a flatline upon seeing her dork of a best friend fiddling with his sweater's zipper. She sighs and locks her arms onto his and continues in the direction of their school.

The boy's mouth trembles trying to let loose of his words. Sadly, he stutters on his tongue and holds back the urge of pulling away his arm. He found a longing for the warmth and liked when his best friend would cherish him. Only his awkwardness is preventing this.

She realizes his tension and releases her grip on his arm. She sniffles in the crowded streets of queens and pulls her friend aside to the opening of the train station. Together they walk in a comfortable silence, both enjoying their different styles of music.

She takes a quick look at him and nods softly, possibly agreeing with her thoughts. He, on the other hand, was thinking about the many options he had on starting a conversation with the girl next to him.

It's like she knew, he thought seeing her face him while raising her eyebrows. His eyes widened and all he could do was smile at her. Like always, she never responded. She turned away and allowed the machine to read her card.

They both waited. Silently and patiently. Out of the corner of the boy's eyes, he could see her pout slightly at the sight of an infant from across them. The boy cracked a smile and stared at the baby. Soon the image of the child blurred once the train arrived.

The two shuffled into the cart and found various empty seats. She grabbed the boy's backpack strap and dragged him into the seats. She carefully placed her hanging earbud into her other ear finally experiencing the great sound quality.

A couple minutes into a new song and the girl tilted her head. She unconsciously tilted it back to the other side and was able to face her train buddy. She looked down and back at the side of his face. He turned his head and was slightly taken back by her stare.

"Peter, your zippers down" she mumbled not showing any kind of emotion in her expression or voice. Confused, the boy knew he zipped up his sweater. He looked at his chest and soon figured out it wasn't his sweaters zipper.

"Crap" he mumbled frantically looking around for anyone else who might've seen. He zipped his fly up and let out a breath full of annoyance and embarrassment.

"Thanks, Seulgi" Peter whispered to the quiet girl.

"Mhm," she hummed leaning the back of her head onto the window. She closed her eyes and envisioned herself as a tree in the next life. Oh how she would kill to do nothing but lay around all day.

Once their school was in sight the pair hopped out the train and onto the remaining street into their junior year of Midtown high. Seulgi focused on the lyrics of her song, tapping her foot on every three beats. Peter was still thinking about between saying good morning or hey what's up to the person next to him.

As Seulgi went to look down at her feet rhythmically tapping away, she wasn't able to see her best friends pair of sneakers. She paused her music and heard a light groan coming from behind her. And there was Peter sprawled across the sidewalk. Right next to his feet was a small pebble in which Seulgi mentally took note of.

"Peter?" she asked frowning while staring right at Peter's forehead.

"Yes, Seulgi" he coughed still on the sidewalk, recovering from the small amount of pain on his back. He was spider-man so it didn't hurt him but he couldn't let his friend know.

"Get off the ground" she demanded, keeping her voice straight. Peter lifted his head off the ground and saw his friend stare directly at him. "People are watching" she then added while unpausing her music.

He helped himself up and watched as his best friend walked away nonchalantly. She giggled mentally at his stupidest but she just couldn't find a way to express it to the public. He shrugs it off and runs up to the girl.

As much as she'd like to smile at him, she can't. It's impossible for her at least. Peter just thinks he's not enough for his best friend. For crying out loud he couldn't receive a single laugh from her like when they were younger.

He smiled through the thought and forgot that he tripped in front of his peers. Because with her... well, it's as if it's only them too. As much as it seems to be a clique, Peter secretly enjoyed fantasizing about the two being in their own world. Just the two of them. He knew Seulgi didn't feel comfortable with others or in public. If he could be alone with her for once. Just once.

And if she could only be with someone. Even for a few minutes. She never liked being lonely. Seulgi hated it. As she was walking down the corridor she felt the rush of anxiety. Peter wasn't with her and she was back to being lonely. She gave the floor another glance before heading off to find her new locker number.

Seulgi walked right past the crowd into the left wing of the school. Peter frantically jumped over his companions and soon made it to the right wing of his school. He walked in but before he made sure his best friend was doing alright. And so she was, chewing on her lip while squinting her eyes. Clearly focused on her combination.

Peter lowered his head and felt his cheeks burn from the bridge of his nose. Suddenly Seulgi and Peter both let out sleepy yawns. Regret filled their hollow heads with the memory of calling each other until two in the morning last, well this morning.