Chapter Thirteen~The Cradle

Bruce's POV

"Helen!"

"Bruce? What is it?"

"I need you to get the cradle ready. Thor's on his way now to get it. It's an emergency!"

"Bruce, I think you need to calm down. The cradle is on its way."

"Thank you so much Dr. Cho," I said as I hung up.

Tony was already sprinting for the infirmary. Most of the Avengers just stood stunned, not knowing what to do.

I scanned the Half-Blood faces in front of me. "You. Come with me," I said, pointing at Piper. "And you," I said to Jason.

"What do you need us for?" Piper asked as we ran to the Big House. "I need you for Annabeth. This might not work and we don't want to get hopes up."

"And me?" Jason asked as we stepping I got the living area. "We are going to need to use your lightning powers."

I came around the corner sharply and ran right into Tony who was frozen in front of the door. "Jesus!" He cried. He ran a hand across his face and I saw that his eyes were red. No wonder, his nephew just died.

Tony took a deep breathe and pushed the door open. What I saw was heartbreaking. Percy lay still and gray on the bed and Annabeth leaned over him sobbing.

Piper ran forward and wrapped Annabeth in a hug, trying not to look at her dead friend. Jason stiffened behind me and I looked to see him cover his mouth with his hands.

I just pushed forward and stood beside Tony, examining the body in silence. Tony laid the Fleece on his nephew just to be sure, but nothing was happening. He was really dead.

A big crash sounded from behind me and I looked to see Thor crashing through the door, somehow carrying the very big and very heavy cradle aloft.

"Yes!" Tony shouted. "Bring it over here Thor."

$&@$&@$&@$&@

Unknown POV

The gods of Olympus stood in the Throne Room of their beautiful mountain that was usually full of life. But it wasn't so today. The gods stood watching the events unfold at Camp Half-Blood.

Poseidon paced restlessly, tears in his eyes while Athena tried to calm him down, for the seas were raging.

Zeus sat atop his own throne grumbling. He had to admit, he would miss the son of Poseidon. He had his uses. And it wouldn't pay to have an angry Poseidon around. The skies were grumbling right along with him.

Aphrodite had just about lost it, for Percy and Annabeth had been her favorite story...er, couple in centuries.

Hermes was indeed upset, for he had been fond of the demigod. Dionysus shrugged but deep down he too was saddened at the death of Percy Jackson. Yes, he did know the demigod's real name. He just didn't like to get too attached to heroes so he made up names for them. Apparently the tactic wasn't working as well as he'd hoped.

Hestia sat by her dying fire. She just couldn't seem to coax the fire into being bigger and stronger and more hopeful. Her hearth did reflect the home, after all. And the home was definitely not hopeful at the moment, and neither was she.

Ares didn't much care. The punk had been on his nerves for some time now. But seeing how upset Aphrodite was, he tried to show some compassion.

To put it simply, the gods usually didn't care so much. About their children and other Half-Bloods. It just wasn't in their nature. They weren't supposed to. But I guess that's why Perseus Jackson caught us all off guard. Because suddenly we couldn't help but care.