Chapter Six~Visiting Hours

Percy's POV

The funeral was yesterday. Annabeth and I watched it through an Iris Message. I told her she should go with her family, but she insisted to stay with me. I was secretly glad; I really didn't want to be alone.

They were finally letting people come see me. Though it's nice to see my friends and all, I almost wish it were just Annabeth and I. I hate my friends see me like this. It's something almost like a deep embarrassment. No that's not right.

Shame. That's what it is. I feel shame. I can't explain it, but it's there.

My mom came to see me yesterday after the funeral. I would've preferred any other day, because I was just really out of it yesterday. The pain had been horrible and I was as drugged up as I possibly could be and I was feeling especially emotional.

I wasn't as strong as I wish I was for my mom. She saw the real me, beneath the mask. She saw how much of a wreck I was and how weak I was. And I cried like a fucking baby.

Sure, she cried a little too and she hugged me and we talked for awhile. Annabeth was about to leave, but I asked her to stay. For some reason, I didn't want to be alone with my mom.

That unease grew inside of me as I sat in bed, as per usual, as Annabeth explained her new idea for a temple on Olympus.

"This one's for Poseidon," she explained, "do you have any ideas?" Just then there was a knock on the wall and the curtain was pulled aside. It was Chiron in his wheelchair.

"Percy," he said, smiling warmly, "would you like to be moved to the Big House? You would have your own room and a lot more privacy."

My face lit up. I nodded. I tried to sit up on my own and fell back against the pillow. The room was spinning and I tasted blood in my mouth. Chiron looked at the floor.

Once I could see straight again, I looked at my teacher and said slowly, "Yes I would like to move to the Big House. How will I get there?"

"Apollo has offered to help us once more. Or rather, I asked him, but whatever. He's going to simply transport you to the bed in the Big House along with all the equipment. It should only take a few minutes to get settle."

I nodded again and laid back on the pillow. A sudden wave of pain wracked through me, hitting especially hard in the sword wound area. I squeezed my eyes shut and let out an involuntary gasp.

I didn't realize how tense my muscles were until Annabeth laid a hand on arm. She grabbed the vial of Phlegethon River and held it to my mouth. I only took some when the pain was really bad. It was best to save it for emergencies. We had used about half of it already.

I took a sip and gagged. The river of fire ran down my throat and burned my insides. Gods, I hate that stuff. It eased the pain only slightly.

I opened my eyes and sighed, trying for a smile that turned into a grimace. I leaned my head against Annabeth and tried to wait it out.

I whimpered as another shock of pain struck. My eyes watered as I tried to keep myself under control. I couldn't freak out, not in front of Chiron. I have to stay strong for Annabeth.

I have to...

A low groan escaped my lips. Annabeth squeezed my hand a little tighter. I looked up at my Wise Girl and felt a strong feeling of love for her. Here she was, taking care of me, when she could be out in the world, having fun. She could be with another guy who was stronger and braver and tougher.

She should just leave me. I'm just holding her back. I'm not even good enough to stop myself from crying out. I don't deserve someone like Annabeth.