Chapter Nine~Time is of the Essence

Percy's POV

The pain was back now, and sooo much worse. I couldn't even focus on Annabeth's voice, all I heard was the blood rushing in my ears. I was aware of being moved to my room in the Big House. I was aware of my friends around me. But I wasn't. It was weird. One moment I knew what was going on and the next, I didn't.

I knew it wasn't the Phlegethon or the Lethe, but the other three most definitely.

The pain was sharper this time, not giving me any room to breath or rest or just take a break. I heard screaming coming from far away. It took me awhile to realize that the sounds were coming from me.

I had little trouble holding in the screams before, but now? I was in no state of mind to tell you what my name is.

Another wave of pain racked its way through my body, taking time to jostle my insides and pull at my lungs. I couldn't breathe!

Annabeth seemed to get the memo and hurried to grab the nasal cannula. Gods, I hated that thing. Through hazes if red, I saw Piper run in the room, then the others.

She sat by my bedside and squeezed my hand, sending jolts of pain through my arm. I squeezed my eyes shut and wrenched my hand away, brought it to my mouth, and bit down hard.

It didn't do much for the pain, but it stifled another scream. Annabeth sat on the bed and propped me up, finding her spot behind me. She hugged me tight, the universal gesture hat said I'm never letting you go. I found slight comfort on that and managed to calm down a little.

Piper helped Annabeth with the cannula and I found it easier to breathe again. I slumped against Annabeth, feeling like I'd drank Gorgon's Blood all over again. I hate this feeling of helplessness. And lately, it's all I've felt.

Jason kneeled, getting eye level with me. "You okay?" He asked. In response, I groaned painfully and leaned over the side of the bed, my face turning green. Jason caught on quickly and grabbed the garbage can.

The morbid taste of puke filled my mouth as my insides emptied themselves. I felt like I was being flayed alive. The pain of the Acheron on top of the throwing up was just to much for me to handle. After upchucking for a solid five minutes, I dry heaved.

I couldn't stop, and it hurt so much. My head seemed to be splitting in two. There was a sharp pain behind my eyes and my mouth tasted like blood. I was crying and I hated it.

Especially since all my friends were in the room during my fabulous episode. I wasn't supposed to look like this, feel like this. I was supposed to be the hero, not the guy who was too weak to wipe the vomit from his mouth.

Annabeth was crying too and I hate it when I make her cry. It makes me want to cry too. I feel like I've failed her somehow, and knowing me, I probably have. I've let her down. I've let everyone down.

Annabeth wiped my mouth with a cloth and pulled me back against her so that my head was rested on her chest. My eyes slipped closed and I squeezed them tightly as another shock wave swept painfully through me. A moan escaped my lips and more tears fell. Annabeth didn't let go of me which I was very thankful for.

One thing I knew for certain, is that I was never leaving Annabeth and she was never leaving me. Never. But sometimes it's okay to let go.

But I don't want to let go. I've got so much more to live for. Correction, I've got Annabeth to live for. Sure, I've got a lot of friends and family very near and dear to my heart, but right now, I need Annabeth.

Annabeth stroked my hair and kissed the top of my head, all the while holding me close to her and rocking us back and forth slightly. The cannula tickled my nose, but I figured I couldn't really complain.