Chapter Three~Awake

Percy's POV

Ow.

Gods, why does it hurt so much?

What's even the point?

That's what the-the voices tell me. And I start to wonder.

What is the point? I can't even remember my name. Everything hurts. Images and sounds and faces flash in front of my eyes, but nothing makes sense.

I feel like I'm tired. Like I could float here in oblivion and have no second thoughts about it.

I feel like I'm drowning. Yeah, that's it, I'm drowning. I can't seem to get enough air. Or any, for that matter, which gives me a weird feeling, but I can't figure out why.

My consciousness is drifting in the current of the endless waters. There's no escape. Better just to let it carry me away.

As I'm floating, I hear the voices. They wail and they scream and they tell me things. Things like "It's not worth it" and "You should just give up".

I find myself agreeing. I don't want to fight anymore. What use is it to fight the current? No, best to let it take me away.

I feel the water change around me. It's no longer cold, but burning. It hurts a lot. It's dark and gross. I suddenly don't want the current to take me away if this is what it feels like.

A word pops into my head. Sticks. No, Styx. That's right. I know this place somehow. I also know that I do not like this place. My insides burn like fire, but I fight the current.

The wailing still echoes in my head, but I try to ignore it. It's not easy and I soon find myself drifting again.

But this time, the water is swampy. The texture is different and strange. It hurts. It hurts a lot more than the Styx. My mouth opened in a scream, but I can't hear anything. The blood is rushing in my ears and pain is all I feel.

My mind blanks as I'm pushed through the water by the current. I'm not aware of anything except the pounding in my head and the ache in my bones.

I opened my eyes and saw milky water in front of me and all my previous thoughts were lost to its waters. But this one was quick and soon I was surrounded by a roaring fire.

And then back to the first. The river of wailing. Their cries were deeply disturbing. I couldn't focus.

I'm drowning.

I'm drowning.

I'm drowning in my own sorrows. I began to sink. No use. No use fighting the current. The current of misery. My chest tightened. I couldn't breathe.

But that's okay. It's better for everyone that way. How easy it is to drown...

I felt a hand in my own. It was small and soft, but it fit perfectly. I didn't dare open my eyes. Maybe it was an angle come to deliver me to heaven.

The hand gripped mine tighter and I found myself leaning into it. I wanted it. I wanted comfort. A better comfort than the voices could ever offer.

My lungs ached. I need air. A nice breath of fresh air. I yearned for it. I scrunched up my face, trying desperately to open my eyes.

I heard a voice. But it wasn't one of misery, but one of hope. I like that sound. I wanted it. Wanted to hear more of it.