Prologue

Prologue

Renoford's POV

"Come in," I heard my father's deep voice call.

I waited for the guards to open the big set of double doors then entered my father's office.

"Daddy," I squealed as I put on my cutest and most innocent smile.

Luckily for me, Dad was usually so busy, he didn't normally get word of the unladylike things I did.

Dad looked up from his desk and smiled at me.

"Hey, how's my little princess doing," he asked as he kissed me on the head.

Uh oh. He called me his 'little princess'. That means he has major schmoozing he's about to do.

"Fantastic. Me and Lady Emma here have just been having the best time, haven't we?"

I turned to the pouting woman that had stepped in with me and gave her my signature smirk where Dad couldn't see.

She was not very happy with me after the stunt I had just pulled. That's what she got for trying to turn me into, and I quote, "the picture perfect princess." Not. Happening.

"Oh yes. Just the best time," she responded with a smile. Then she turned her eyes to me and gave me a look that said 'two can play at this game'.

Finally! Someone who was a challenge!

"Well, that's great to hear," Dad sighed, then his face changed from delight to business in a matter of a few seconds. That's when I saw the dark bags under his eyes, making him look years older.

He worked way too hard for his own good, but he had no one to really help him. I mean he had a few advisors and secretaries, but they can only help so much. What he needed was a queen, but unfortunately, she was MIA.

"Ren, my dear. Go ahead and pull a seat up here beside me. We have much to talk about and only a few days to do so."

With wary eyes, I raised two fingers then pointed at the chair so a guard would bring a seat for me next to my father.

I did not like where this was headed.

"Ren, sweetheart."

There he goes again with the endearments. He is really laying it on thick today.

"As you know, you will have to take over this kingdom one day. I know you are not particularly eager to do so, but since you are the only heir, you have to do so."

He stopped and took a breath before continuing.

"Of course, to do so, you have to have a husband."

He paused again and waited for me to process what he was trying to say.

Yup. I'm definitely not going to like what he is going to say next.

I nodded at him to continue.

"Well, you can't exactly just go out on the streets and find a good guy to marry. He has to be of noble birth right, which you knew, correct?"

I nodded again and he keep talking.

"Your eighteenth birthday is Saturday and, you know this as well, but once your eighteen, you're expected to prepare for the throne. So I was able to filter through a list of available princes and have narrowed it down to five young men. I spoke to them and they agreed that they would come stay here starting in two weeks until you decide which one of them you want to marry."

He watched me with a worried expression and waited to see what I would say.

None of this made sense. What was he talking about? I wasn't getting married anytime soon.

"I don't understand," I said warily, shaking my head in disbelief.

He let out a breath and ran a hand through his greying hair.

"Princess, I need you to take over the throne within the next year. To be able to rule you have to have a husband, so I invited five princes to come stay here so you could pick on of them to marry."

I sat there for a second, trying to understand what he was saying.

Then it hit me.

I stood up so fast my chair fell backwards.

"ARE YOU INSANE?! HOW CAN YOU EXPECT ME TO DO THIS?! Haven't you seen The Princess Diaries with me enough to know that Mia doesn't get married. I don't need to get married to rule. Mia did just fine on her own. Daddy please," I pleaded.

"Princess, I know you think I'm not thinking logically-"

"More like not thinking at all."

"-but this is for your own good. You need someone to take care of you and be your partner in taking care of the kingdom. That's one reason why I'm rushing you to become queen. I can't take care of this kingdom on my own much longer. I'm exhausted and I never get to spend time with you."

"Daddy, please. I'm begging you. We can think of another way. I can help you from behind the scenes and then, I can become queen when I'm older. Or, or," I stumbled over my words trying to think of a good excuse.

I started pacing around the room trying to think of how I could change his mind.

"I'm not ready for this," I argued. "I need more time to live my life, explore other kingdoms, make new friends."

I was still pacing the room when my father called me over to him.

I walked over and sat on my knees in front of him. He took my face into both of his hands and made me look into his stormy blue eyes.

The same eyes I looked into every day in the mirror.

"I love you very much and I want what's best for you, you know that right?"

I nodded.

"This is going to be a good thing. You'll see," he said, kissing my forehead.

"You know what," he said after a moments thought. "If in three months, you haven't connected with even just one of the princes, we'll send them home. We'll send them home and think of a new plan. Deal? Three months? Can you last that long?"

I nodded, but only out of respect for my father. I could tell my dad was really wanting this. Maybe he even needed this. I knew he was working really hard to take care of the kingdom, but I didn't realize he was stretched so thin.

I was already coming up with ways I could stop this from happening. Maybe I could stage a

He sighed in relief, then bent down and kissed my forehead again.

"I love you, Princess. Things will work out for the better. I promise."

"I love you too, Daddy."

I stood up and started walking towards my bedroom chambers. They were my safety net and I couldn't imagine going anywhere else when I was faced with a dilemma.

I'd have to become queen within the next year and get married.

How was I suppose to like a prince in just a few short months, much less love one enough to marry him. It just wasn't possible.

I loved my father very much, but he couldn't make me do this. No one could.

****

That's the prologue. I hope you enjoyed it! Please vote or comment to let me know what you thought!

xx