Chapter 39

Chapter 39

Ren's POV

The next few days flew by in a whirl of gown fittings, Parliament meetings, and any and everything to do with the upcoming coronation.

The entire kingdom had been in a flurry every since they found out about my upcoming coronation. We also thought it would be best to let them know that their beloved King was sick. I'm sure they could connect the dots from there.

I received an update about my dad each day, but it was never anything positive. He continued to digress and I couldn't help him. That was the thing that haunted me the most.

The only good thing that came out of my busy week was that I was distracted enough to forget about the two young men waiting for my decision. Even I was waiting for my decision. I still had no idea what to do.

"Ren...Hello."

I jerked my head around and saw my best friend smirking at me.

"I've only called your name five times now," Gail laughed walking over to give me a hug.

I had to lean down a bit since I was standing on a pedestal while the seamstress did a few last minute touch-ups on my elaborate coronation dress. It was almost too gorgeous to wear as golden vines snaked their way across the dress.

"So...you'll be queen in less than 36 hours. How do you feel?"

"A little like throwing up, but mostly okay. I'm glad you were able to come here, especially since Daddy can't."

"Of course I came," she said, squeezing my hand. "You're my best friend and that means I would do anything for you."

"Thank you," I smiled, looking back into the huge mirror in front of me. "I'm starting to get pretty nervous," I admitted.

"Well, not that I would know what this is like, but I want you to know that I will be with you for the next how ever many hours until your coronation comes. I want to make sure you're doing okay so I will be your shadow for the next few days. "

I smiled, "Good. And, now that you mention it, I do have something to...present to you. It's more of a job offer really."

She gave me a questioning look as I pretended to look like I was presenting her with an award.

"Will you, Gail Folks, be my lady-in-waiting?"

She laughed at my formal approach to it, but eagerly nodded anyway.

"Of course!"

We hugged again and I couldn't help, but be reminded of the wonderful support that I had. Gail would do anything for me and I likewise for her. I needed her to be apart of this kingdom, especially as I continued to learn the ropes. I would definitely be stressed out for the next few months and I tried to gain a firm grip on the kingdom, but I knew as long as I had Gail with me I would be fine.

"Ren," Gail pulled back and looked me in the eye. She had a small smile on her face and her left eye was slightly squinted. That meant she was nervous about something. "I know you said that is was okay if I liked Isaac and what not so..."

"Your point?" I asked, growing suspicious.

"Well, I was just wondering if it would be okay if Isaac and I uhh, dated."

"Yes! It's completely okay, but you didn't need my permission."

"I know," she sighed, pulling up a nearby chair. "But I wanted your blessing in case our relationship was to go any further."

Even though she was looking at me, I could she was really thinking about Isaac. I was truly ecstatic for them.

"What about you?" she asked.