Part 31

Jack stared at Declan trying to decide whether he should be scared for his life or not. Declan had his back to him, looking over the broken glass and letting the vodka bottle slip from his hand. The bottle hit the floor at the wrong angle and shattered too, sending the clear liquid out over the tile floor around his bare feet. Jack forced himself to release the bedpost, taking a tentative step forward toward Declan. The 'clanking' noise of his collar must have given him away, because Declan quickly glanced over his shoulder to look back. Jack stopped, unsure whether to continue approaching him. Declan raised a hand, telling him in a low stern voice. "Stay where you are. There is glass everywhere". Declan's tone wasn't as hostile as he had expected it to be. Remaining where he was, Jack told Declan nicely. "Is there anything I can do to help"? Declan huffed sarcastically, muttering back. "Not unless you can go back in time". 

Jack shifted nervously, before saying lightly. "You want to talk about it? I hear it helps". Declan turned to face him, stepping on the glass without even flinching. Jack winced for him as he saw blood start to swirl in the alcohol beneath his foot. Declan never met his eyes, but asked him curiously. "I've seen the security tapes... Does he still haunt you"? Jack shrugged, answering unsure. "I don't follow you". Declan moved closer to lean his shoulder against the doorframe of the bathroom, his eyes staring distantly at the carpet as he answered dryly. "Rodger. I saw what he did to you here. Do you still see him"? Jack pressed his back to the bedpost, honestly answering. "I used to. I haven't for a while now. Who do you see"? Declan lifted his head to finally meet his eyes, telling him in a grim broken voice. "The better question is who don't I see... My life is filled with shadows. Trevor thinks he has it bad... He chose this life. I didn't".

Declan slide away from the doorframe and limped to a chair. When he was settled, Jack approached him slowly. Declan lifted his foot to see the damage, telling Jack numbly. "Go back to bed. Get some rest. I won't be sleeping for a while". Jack sank to his knees beside the chair, looking at the bottom of Declan's foot. There was a lot of blue glass from his bottle and some fragments of mirror. Blood dripped from his foot to the carpet, but Jack ignored it. Carefully taking ahold of Declan's foot, Jack began to remove pieces of glass. There was a weird silence between them for a bit, before Declan finally asked him. "How did you force yourself to stop seeing him"? Jack pulled another piece of glass from Declan's foot with a small smirk, answering sweetly. "The truth is that I didn't. I saw that motherfucker for months after the incident. The only thing that made his memory fade was Mark. Without him... I'd still be seeing him".

Jack pulled the last piece free, while Declan told him softly. "You actually love him". Jack put a cloth to Declan's foot, looking up to answer him. "Of course. Did you think I...". Jack let his voice trail off as he realized something. Sitting back a little, Jack asked Declan curiously. "You thought Mark took me from Orson. That like you, I was kidnapped and sold into this life"? Declan leaned on the arm of his chair, telling him casually. "I told you that I rescue pets". Jack let out a hearty chuckle, saying perplexed. "Wow. But your treatment of Trevor"? Declan's eyes moved to the door, before muttering out. "Orson twisted Trevor up so badly that his morals are backwards. I've been trying different methods to see what he responds too. I'm worried that I can't save him". Jack sighed, mumbling out. "Well... He is a rapist. I want to hate him... but I can't. Not entirely. I blame Orson for turning him into a monster. That poor bunny girl...".

A smirk pulled at Declan's lips as he said bluntly. "She is fine. Trevor never touched her. I set him up to scare him. He has been sneaking out to watch Ben". Jack removed his hands from Declan, stating sternly. "That is cruel. You castrated him over a lie"? Declan locked eyes with him, seriously saying. "I did not. Trevor is locked in an old breeding room. He thinks he's going to be castrated, but I set this up awhile ago. I have to break him to fix him. It is hard to explain... but I'm trying to help him. If Trevor goes to prison... He'll never walk out. He has raped people and I have made sure that he has paid for that. One of many reasons why he hates me. He just doesn't understand what he wants". Jack raised a curious eyebrow, asking a bit rashly. "And you do"? Declan sighed, reaching out to touch Jack's steel collar, before answering softly. "Did you ever wonder why Trevor likes you so much? Why he is jealous of Mark? Why he has been getting hostile whenever Ben talks about you"?