Chapter 38: Aftermath

Start from the beginning

He was still mad she made him sleep outside, so he just ignored her. He went to the wardrobe trying to find something to wear.

"i called you last night" she said, he continued to ignored her.

"where did you sleep last night?" still he ignored her.

"Abdulma..." she stopped realizing how weird it must be that she still calls him by his name.

"that's no greeting" he said without turning around

"what happened to you?" she asked again

"that's no greeting either" again he replied without turning around. He picked up a kaftan and dropped it on the bed.

Adilah was not used to this, men bow to her, she was always in control. I had to go and marry a proud man. She thought to herself, she had to remind herself that she was underneath him "where are my manners? Ina kwana?"

"kalau na kwana wallahi" finally stopping and leaning on the wardrobe, he look straight at her, waiting for her say what was on her mind

"you just stormed out, didn't call the whole day and then came back home at night, and now you have a a swollen eye and a large discoloration on your back"

"you locked me out, made me sleep in a hotel"  He complained "and now you want answers? It doesn't work like that sweetheart" 

"you ran off to your ex girlfriend and came back at night, what was i suppose to think?"

He smiled "maybe you should not think, maybe you should have asked"

She was still sitting down "I'm asking now"

And he was still leaning on the wardrobe "you asked when it was convenient for you, forgive me for wanting to do the same"

Adilah just looked at him unbelievably with her lips parted from one another. He was unbelievable, such authority. She tore her eyes away from him "I'm sorry, i should not have locked you out. Honestly i didn't want you to sleep in a hotel, i wanted you to sleep outside, or at least in your car and you had to go and leave, i would have let you in eventually" she pushed her mouth,  frowning

He laughed at her honesty "my God you're something else"

She eyed him from the side of her eyes "please tell me what happened to you and why didn't you call??"

"Abdulzahir and i had an argument because he abused Zainab and things escalated a bit, that was why i stormed out of here and that was why i couldn't call. She's in the hospital ma yanzu haka, she lost another baby"

She opened her eyes in disbelieve "a bit?  You have a swollen eye. Abdulzahir ya duka Zainab har tayi bari? Tabdi jam, what kind of man is he?"

"wallahi baya ji, Allah ya kyauta, i had to send his parents the picture of his room after the beating, munyi magana da baban shi jiya yau zasu shigo gari, its very serious fa"

"And you fought with him? Why was Tahira there?"

"i let my anger get the best of me ne kawai, but nikam yanzu ai na fita harkan Abdulzahir daga yau" He didn't mind ignoring the last question, this was wife arrest anything you say can and will be used against you.

"shey that's how I'll ask you something and you'll just ignore me ba?" She stood up angry to leave "i got the test results yesterday, nayi batan wata" she opened the door and he quickly held her arm just below her elbow dragging her back

He made a genuinely happy smile "are you serious?"

"why are you happy, wait for Tahira's baby mana, leave me alone please" what she didn't know was that it was an absolute possibility as far as he was concerned Tahira would he his in a matter of time.

"sssshhhhh come here" he lightly dragged her to the mirror where he stood behind her, her upturned eyes caught his through the mirror. He moved her hair away from her face, then dropped both his hands on her waist "do you see that?"

She frowned "what?"

he traced the edges of her face, down her shoulder, to the edges of her waist and down her hips "that" he said with both their eyes following the trace.

She blushed taking her eyes back to meet his "now who in their right minds would compete with that?" then he placed his hands on her tummy "except maybe him or her, because it would have a part of me and lets face it i am a lot more good looking than you"

"huhh? you wish!"  they both laughed.

"I'm sorry i should have called" he said.

"better find a way to keep her in your past, she's Zainab's friend naji but still find a way... " she took his hands away and walking away she added "or i will take my baby and leave"

His eyes follow her "our baby" he corrected.

"right"  She replied without turning back
***