Chapter 19: Trading Places

Tahira! Tahira!  Who in God's name is this Tahira and why did he have to mention her after every 2 line of conversation. Of course i knew exactly who she was.
"wallahi Tahira ce ma ta tashe ni da wurin 6:40 haka"
"Tahira ta ce fa da asuba Zainab din ta kira ta, ashe she passed out immediately"
"eh i think an kusa mai da ta gida, ni ina kano. Tahira ta ce za su je su dan yi gyara kafin a kai ta"

Urggghh vomit!!! I hate her, i hate this Tahira and how her name was constantly popping up every minute.

I listen to him go on and on, explaining to his friend what had happened to Abdulzahir's bride. What really gets me is not that Tahira  needed to be mentioned in every sentence, but how he seemed to enjoy making references to her.  This isn't the first time I've heard him mention her.

When he was done he apologized "I'm sorry, this isn't why i came to see you, i promise"

"it's alright i understand..." i stopped wondering whether or not to ask him about Tahira, if you don't you'll never know  obsessive curiosity would be my downfall "...who's Tahira?"

His deep set eyes suddenly focused on mine, the weight of his look made me turn away, i have never met anyone so intimidating. We where both quiet for a minute maybe two, it was getting awkward, which could only mean one of two things. He still loves her and he still loves her. I wasn't comfortable with either.

I felt his eyes avert from me and then he said "She's Zainab's friend"

"girlfriend?" i heard the words escape from my lips and immediately wish i didn't ask.

He was now closely looking at me, as if he was being careful "ex" he confirmed.

Well since it's already weird and awkward i might as well ask him what i really wanted to know "do you love her?" oh! Shit!! I should not have asked, i wasn't sure i really wanted to know. I had this policy don't ask a question if you're not sure you would be atleast 60%  comfortable with whatever the answer might be. I lived by this.

He leaned forward and took my hand "I'm with you" errrrhh wrong answer, but the message was quite clear, he did and he didn't want to lie, i admired that about him but in this case i wished he lied, i felt an empty hallow feeling combined with regret. Adilah why did you even ask.

"what kind of relationship did you have with her?"  i heard the words patter, what in God's name is wrong with me, well it was that time in the month (if you know what i mean😒) so you can under my frustration.

"Meaning?"  he asked plainly.

I maintained silence, and he asked again suspiciously "Adilah? what did you mean?" oh shit! He knows!! I went through his phone, stupid, i know!! but that's the only way to get anything out of this guy. Calm down Adi he can't possibly know anything. I summoned all my boldness and faced him only to look into his eyes and loose my courage. I put back down my defenses he already had me exactly where he wanted. "never mind"

He was quick to change the subject "muje Bombay to Beirut, i heard suna lebenese dishes. I should learn to eat those sosai, tunda dai I'm with a half lebenese"

This isn't fair i wanted to talk about his ex girlfriend, but i decided to leave that fight for another day and flow with him "did you know i make the best shawarma ever?"

He was more than thrilled i was taking the bait "oh! you don't say? Lebenese style??"

I smiled and fluttered my eyelashes "100% , you should try it"