Chapter 17: The Beginning of Trials

The loud rumble of the storm woke me up, the sound began to make me shiver. It's been two months and my husband is still away on official business or so he says. To be alone is easy, loneliness on the other hand is something else entirely. I'm alone at home and I'm lonely almost all the time. Sometimes I'm lonely even when I'm in gatherings, when I'm with friends, when I'm with family.

I held myself tightly in the blanket, another flash of lightening bolted. The lights went off, so I close my eyes to try and sleep, i was so alone and lonely, the worse of the two is i was depressed from my situation.

2 months and the only time i hear from him is when he calls to find out if i need anything and the bank alert i get from him from time to time confirms that he's still alive and well. Most times when he called he sounded cheerful, happy and i wonder why i felt so lost and lonely. I had distant myself from my friends, because i always had to pretend i was happy, and i wasn't good at pretending. The only person who knew the true situation of my marriage was Tahira and as far as i knew she didn't breathe a word of it to anyone.

I kept thinking of where he could be,  i was hoping that he was actually telling me the truth when he said that he had concluded his work here in Kaduna and needed to get back to Abuja for a pending case which was consuming all his time, in truth deep down i knew Fateema must be with him. But each time the thought creeps in i discard it immediately. With my thoughts consuming the part of me that was aching, i realized that i was married, but i would have been better off unmarried. With my pain and the terrifying sound of the storm i managed to sleep.

THE NEXT MORNING

The feeling of discomfort woke her up,  the unease in her upper stomach gave her the urge to vomit, she tried to force down the bile, but to no avail. She started to run towards the toilet faster than a flash of lightening and found herself half way in the middle of her room, she lurched to her knees, her stomach kept on contracting violently
and forcing everything up and out, she started to pour out the small content of her stomach. She hardly gets to eat much, mostly she took a lot of water which was most of what she was bringing back out. Her face was pale and dripping of sweat and tears, the smell hit her nose forcing her to heave even though there was nothing left, liquid still surge up her throat and down her expensive carpet.

She was weak and frail,  she managed to drag her very sour knees to the side of her bed where she kept her phone, barely managing to dialing her trust worthy friend "Ta.. Ta.. Tahi.. ra zan mutu"

Tahira was brought fully awake by the sound of Zainab's very weak cry for aid,  she rushed to her feet "Zainab? Meya faru?"

Again she tried to bring the words to life "Ki zo.. Zan.... mutu." her balance failed her and she let go of the phone she was barely holding on to, her head was so heavy and she felt like a big chair landed on her head and with that she was completely out.

Tahira Muhammad ran terrifyingly out of her room and started to bang on her parents door bam bam bam bam  "waye ne"  her father shouted through the door

"Baba ni ce"   She shouted back, her mother opened the door confused "Tahira lafiyan ki kuwa, meya faru? "

"mommy Zainab ce, ta kira ni wai zata mutu, and then kin ga bata magana kuma, ina ta hello shuru"

Mommy collected the phone from Tahira "She's still on the line? " she asked and Tahira knods "Hello Zainab? Hello"  But there was no activity at all on the other end of the line.

Mommy went back inside and took her hijab and said something to Baba and then she came out "muje"   she and Tahira rushed to her Car.

Mommy and Zainab's mother where not friends but they related from time to time due to their children's friendship. Mommy dialed Hajiya Aisha's phone and luckily she picked up "Assalamualaikum"