Chapter 16: Happy Never After

She started to pace from one end of the room to the other, Tahira's eyes followed her from one end of the room to the other, she was still the only person Zainab told,  Her mother in-law came yesterday "ina Abdulzahir din ya shiga?"

"ya fita ne" she lied, she didn't want his mother to be worried.

It's been 5days and he would have to go back to work on Monday. "Ya Allah where is Abdul?" at this moment she just wanted to scream to let out the steam of worry that consumed her.

Tahira who was sitting on Zainab's comfortable couch was hardly helping her calm down, she seem to have reach a conclusion on where Zainab's husband must be . "what did he say when he called? "

"well not much really, he just said something like "i don't want you to worry, I'm absolutely fine, i just had somethings to take care of, I'll be home soon""  she was confusingly repeating his words, Tahira did not blame her, he didn't really explain much.

"And you didn't press him for information?"

Zainab frowned "i just assumed when he said soon he meant that day din, so i thought i could ask him in person instead"

Tahira was quiet as if she was analyzing something, her silence was only frustrating Zainab more "TEEEEE" she called snapping her fingers bringing back Tahira's attention

"zee calm down"

"Call Abdulmaleek again"

"You're joking right?  He's gonna start to think that this isn't really about you and i just want to talk to him" she was completely irritated and annoyed .

"I don't care, i can't find my husband" she snapped, which was something Zainab hardly ever does.

Tahira made a slightly conclusive fake smile "but of course you don't, you're as self centered as it comes. Wasn't it you who condemned my relationship with Abdulmaleek the most?"

"because he wasn't good for you"

"And now it happens to be convenient for you so you don't mind"

"Oh God, you're being really insensitive right now" she sighed, putting her hand on her forehead to support her head which was becoming heavier by the minute "This is different, i can't find Abdul"

"if it's so urgent then call him yourself."  she insisted, they both kept silent for a few seconds and Tahira continue from where she stopped pointing out the obvious "if he's not at work, and not at his parents, or with his friends and Abdulmaleek has been beating around the bush, then we both know there's only one other place he must be"

Zainab shook her head, and hot tears started running down her cheeks "5days Tahira, i don't believe it, he won't do that because we where so happy, we didn't argue or anything, we're fine"

"i told you he was impulsive and unpredictable, i warned you to get to understand him before the wedding, remember what you told me? "

"Tahira you're just jealous because Abdulmaleek's close friend is actually serious and he still isn't"
Zainab was unable to lock eyes with Tahira "what you failed to understand was even though i never met Abdulzahir face to face before you did, I knew him way better than you did in the short time before your wedding Zainab"

Tahira was hurt by how Zainab treated her in her last single days when she tried to advise her about Abdulzahir and she knew sooner or later one day she was going have to tell her how hurt she was by her words. Today was that day. "I told you and you said i was obsessed over a man that only played me, but that which you judge you become"

Zainab was seriously tearing up, Tahira felt a bit guilty conscious and dialed Abdulmaleek again, she left the parlor and went out so Zainab wont hear her, but she needed to convince him to get his friend to come back home before Zainab breaks down.