Chapter 10: The Opening

Abdulmaleek drove so fast with his jaws clenched, he brows arched, he was speeding within town, he felt like he needed air so he headed for the outskirts of town. He almost hit a car that was moving too slow. He switched off his AC and opened his windows, he was speeding on 160 and still he was driving faster, the breeze hit his eyes, it was already getting dark and there were a lot of cars on the road.

Driving fast gave him a clear head, he need to feel sane again, he was almost near gonin gora, the road to Abuja when he turned around to head back home. His phone started to vibrate, his screen displayed the caller Adilah . She was the last person he wanted to talk to, so he simply ignored the phone call.
At around 7:30 he got home, and saw a honda academy park as he drove into his house, Kamal was here. Oh God please let him be alone he was not in the mood for Hadi and his jokes.
His phone vibrates, a text came through, it was Tahira. He felt nervous, he stepped out of the car, then opened the text, she sent two words "I'm sorry" his anger suddenly subsided. Her texting him those words meant she wasn't completely blaming him. He decide to immediately text Adilah, he wanted to distract himself from Tahira.
"Hey beautiful
I'm sorry I was driving
I'll call you later "
But he knew he was probably not going to call back.

He went in through the front door, he could hear them arguing over only God knows what. He met them in the parlor, as usual they where loud. Abdulzahir saw him first "ance mutum ya rinka sallama amma inaah, kunnen kashi"

Abdulmaleek ignored him and stretched out his hand to Kamal and Hadi "ya neh? Kun iso?"
They shook and Hadi began "naji wai kayi ma wannan banzan mata, tun dazu sai maganan ta yake tayi"

Knowing how Abdulzahir likes to brag Abdulmaleek already knew that he must have told them the whole story " Zai dai je ya cuce yarinyan mutane daga ganin ta a bank"

Abdulzahir immediately jumped from where he sat "speaking of which, did she send you the number?"
Abdulmaleek wasn't sure he wanted to play a part in what Abdulzahir was planning but then something else told him maybe she'll be the reason he would change. "na bar shi mota"

Abdulzahir suddenly got excited "a ina? "

"Yana dashboard, za ka ga paper da Zainab a jiki"

Immediately Abdulzahir left to get the number. This was the first time Kamal commented on the matter "kai ke encouraging din shi ya na iskancin da ya ga dama ko?"

He was in no mood for Kamal's judgment, although he knew kamal was almost always right. " K-man ko na ba shi, ko ban ba shi ba nemo wa zai yi, he has been on my neck since morning, besides auren ta yace zai yi, i don't see anything wrong with that"

"Nothing wrong at all, except we all know Abdulzahir bai yi hankalin da zai yi aure ba"

Abdulmaleek didn't see sense in that, infact it sounded ridiculous "Ka fi so yayi ta bata yaran mutane a gari kenan? "

Just then Abdulzahir came back with the number "let me call her now"

Twice and she didn't pick up, he was becoming frustrated, he dialed and this time she did.

She picked up "Hello?" she was soft spoken, appealing.

"Hello!" he cleared his throat "Dan Allah I want to speak with Zainab."
She seem to have adjusted, it sounded like she was lying down and decided to sit up or stand up, he wasn't sure "Sorry who's this please?"

"My name is Abdulzahir" He just realized that the rest of the boys were all paying attention to his phone call.

"I'm sorry?" She asked sounding confused