Chapter 15: Dear Diary

Dear diary,

The last 2months since my wedding have been a fairytale. Abdulzahir can't get enough of me, he took a months leave from work and ended up adding another month and a half making it 2 and a half months. We still have a week to ourselves before he has to go back to work, what would i do with myself when he can no longer be with me 24/7.

My mother in-law is lovely, she's the nicest person I've ever met and for that i consider myself luck. She sent me recipes to Abdulzahir's favorite dishes, my husband prefers home made meals. I've been making a mess of everything, my cooking skills are below average, even at home Ummi prefers to cook whenever it was my turn to cook. Lucky for me regardless of his desires for home made meals Abdulzahir is a modern man, he doesn't mind taking me out for launch and dinner.

As for his ex-girlfriend Fateema, I was more than happy that she was now gone from both our lives, she messed up my wedding and i still had fears that she was going to reappear and destroy my very fragile happiness. Ummi has been calling and pressing me for information about my marriage "ciki gare ki Zainab?" she would ask, but that wasn't any of her business.

Tahira seemed to have finally ended her circle with Abdulmaleek, sometimes when he came to see Abdulzahir he would ask me about her. I could see why she loved him, he was responsible, funny, thoughtful and he had this charisma that came with his good looks. Every woman's dream well.. except me. My dream was Abdulzahir and his crazy personality.

Abdulzahir talked to me about going back to school, but i really wasn't interested in going back, it seemed like another life ago. To write JAMB again is a problem, in fact to read for the JAMB examination was the bigger problems.
✴✴✳

Unlike Tahira and her list, Zainab only ever writes to her diary on important things, feelings, events and others. Just a week left before Abdulzahir has to go back to work and these past 3 days he's been spending his nights out with his friends. Today he and the boys where playing cards in Hadi's apartment located in his parents house on Isa kaita. Abdulmaleek traveled to Abuja.

At around 8pm Fateema called Abdulzahir  "Long time no see, is she taking care of you for me?"

"Are you sure thats why you called?"

"Well i missed you, is why i called"

"kina ina?"

"Gida, can i see you? "

"All you have to do is ask and I'm there, Abdulmaleek is out of town, do you maybe wanna hang out?"

"sure, meet you there."

When he was done, his friends where both carefully observing him, Hadi was never one to keep his mouth shut "kai ba wai da auren ka ba?"

"so?" Abdulzahir  was unphased and he replied with little or no interest .

"So you're not supposed to be seeing your psycho ex girlfriend" Kamal replied him abruptly.

Abdulzahir standing up from the mat where they played "Yeah well i am going to see her"  he took his car keys and walked out without more explanation.

Hadi cleared his throat ahem "If only she wasn't such a nut case, Abdulzahir baya ji ko kadan"

Kamal didn't comment he just started to reshuffle the cards.

He drove in and seconds later he heard her honk, he rushed to open the gate for her and she drove in with a brand new sparkling silver KIA sportage. How in God's name is Fateema changing cars like she changes dresses, he wondered.

She stepped out in a clingy tea length black straight skirt and a close-fitting short-sleeved blouse with a small scarf tied on her head letting her weave down the left side of her neck. She wore blocked heels which gave her a 'i'm in control' look. She came out holding a two small sized food flask' which she dropped by the staircase and turned around to Abdulzahir who was coming back from the gate.