Fire

He is fire. Darkness and smoke, and he looks at her with an intensity so wild and burning that she has to bite her tongue to remind herself to look away. But it is too late, she has already looked, and now she is caught.
"Fallon." the name washes over her skin like a curse uttered from his deathly lips, she shudders at it, shudders and squeezes her eyes shut. Wishing that hell would take him.
Hell doesn't take him, so instead he stands behind her, his breath hot against the crook of her neck and shoulder. He reaches his hand out and stops millimetres from her skin, wanting more than anything to touch her, but knowing that if he does she will break beneath him.
"Please love, please don't hide from me."
It is the tone that gets her, it always will be. That rise and fall of his words, and the emotion that carries them, sadness and fear. It haunts her. It burns her.
The breath that she takes in is unneeded, but she does it anyway. For the past her, for a reminder; it hurts as the air forces it's way into her, it sounds out between them like a shuddering gasp. She opens her eyes, and lets the air back out, and then she turns to face him.
She regrets it instantly.
If there was ever a way to describe him she has not found it. But he is beautiful, as beautiful as the finality of the end in all of its glory. He has a strong jaw, and is wide, large, almost as if he grows to accomodate any room he enters. He looks every bit as wild as he is, his eyes hold a primal gleam that he was never able to lose. And the way that he looks at her makes her knees weak.
But behind all of that she can see what he really is, what he really hides. She can see behind the looks and the smouldering gaze into his soul and true person. And he is sad, lonely, wild and possessive. A man that thousands of years ago would have been perfect, but he was born into the wrong time. A protector, a provider, and a hunter; but he is without someone to protect, someone to provide for, and he is surrounded by prey.
"Fallon?" He whispers her name again, and his voice breaks quietly as he does so. He is like a child in this way, never before has he experienced such emotions, such confusion when he is with her. It maddens him. Intoxicates him. He would have it no other way.
He loves her, and she is terrified of him.
She stays silent, staring up at him with her eyes so dark that he can see a reflection of himself. His hand shakes in the air between them. He wants to grab her, to hold her so that she can never escape him again, but if he touches her she will want to leave.
So instead his hand hovers. And eventually both of their eyes burn into it.
"How did you know I was here?" She doesn't lift her eyes as she speaks.
"You knew that it would be the last place where I would look." A small smile lifts on the corner of his lips, he is not angry, how could he be at his clever girl.
"Where else did you look?"
"Everywhere else."
She swallows at this, and glances up into his face, his eyes have not left that hand, and if she moves her arm only slightly skin would touch skin.
"You have made a life for yourself." His eyes raise from his hand to the room. She watches as his smile falls.
She wants to explain herself but cannot find the words, she doesn't want to say the wrong thing, and she doesn't want to lie either.
"His name is Jason."
"How old is he?"
She shakes her head and when he looks into her face he can see a new type of sadness fill it. Mourning.
"How long has he been gone for?"
"Longer than he lived."
His eyes rise back to the photo, the boy looks like her, and he wears a graduation gown and smiles at the camera.
"How long have I been gone for?"
"Not long enough."
He exhales at the words. Wounded.
"How long do I have before you disappear again?" He doesn't bother asking if she will, because he already knows that it is inevitable.
"I don't know Demerr, maybe never."
The words warm his chest, but sit heavy in his stomach. He lifts his hand and lets it rest on her upper arm, "Please," he whispers, "please don't leave me again."
And he can tell by the look on her face that she will be gone when the sun hits the horizon.

They lie in bed, him touching her, her touching him, in a way that both miss. After the ecstasy has faded and they both lie awake waiting for the other to fall asleep he whispers again.
"Please don't do it again love."
She doesn't answer him, pretending to be asleep. But they are creatures of the night, and she would never sleep soundly beside him anyway.
"I don't want to spend centuries looking again."
"Then don't."
A tear rolls down both of their cheeks.
"You have damned me to an eternity that I never asked for, so do me a favour and don't look for me."
"I love you." His voice was met with a moment of silence, heavy silence that filled the room with cold.
"You love what I do for you."
"Tell yourself that all you want."
"I had a life here, I had family, friends, and loved ones, and now I have to leave them, because of you."
"They do not love you, they are only human, and they cannot love what they don't understand."
Another tear rolled down her face.
"You do not know them like I know them."
"They do not know you like I know you."
"Go to sleep Demerr."
"So you can leave again."
She doesn't answer him this time, but the finality of her words sit on his chest harder than a goodbye ever would. This is her goodbye, her body and then her silence, with meaningless daggers of words thrown in between.
He accepts this, he expects nothing less. He lies in her goodbye for an hour longer, both still awake. Him too afraid to close his eyes out of the knowledge that he'd open them and she wouldn't be there.
"You will never escape me."
The words are meaningless, because when he opens his eyes to the light of dawn, the bed next to him and the house surrounding him are empty.

Hey guys check out my new story called Of Blood And Dust- that was just a lil teaser for ya