Worry

The silence woke her. It was a distinct noise, one that chilled her to the bone, she sat up in bed. The rustle of the sheets echoed across the empty house, her very breath was loud enough to shake the walls.

Harley lived in a city, a bustling lively city, she had heard noise for her how life but this- this was empty. She could hear her blood moving through her veins, she could hear her lungs deflate when she breathed out, she could hear the fibre in the sheets settling. Dust fell as loud as rain.

He was gone.

Harley slipped from the bed and cringed at the creaking of springs, when her bare feet touched the wood of the floor it groaned. She padded throughout the house, checking every room for a trace of him. But he wasn't there. The joker wasn't there.

She whispered his name, then spoke it, she called it, then screamed it.
There was no response. He didn't call back. He didn't come back.

Harley didn't know what to do- he had been a permanent fixture in her life for years, he had shaped her into a being that couldn't live without him- and then he left.

Harley wandered the house aimlessly for hours, but when she looked at the clock only a minute had passed.
What is this hell?
She sat in her chair and tried to read, but the words made no sense, the page blurred in front of her and tears filled her eyes. She went to the toilet, sat on the seat for an hour, staring at the sink, when she washed her hands she avoided the mirror, she washed them once, twice. Then she had a shower and sat in the tub for hours as the water went frigid around her.

When she got out of the shower something had changed. The house seemed darker, more lonely, more dangerous. It was nighttime, and Harley was alone.

She couldn't sleep that night, she rolled in her sheets. Closed her eyes as tight as possible and wished. The next morning coloured the sky and Harley still woke up alone. But this time she woke to the sound of the door unlocking.

"Harley?" Her heart beat out of her chest, because that voice was his.
She jumped out of bed and the sheets tangled around her ankle.
She hit the ground and called out his name.

When he entered he laughed, but she gasped.
"What happened to you?"
He lifted her from the ground and all she could do was stare at the bruise on his face.
He didn't answer.  When her fingers brushed across his darkened jaw he turned his head.
"What happened to you?" Her voice was harder this time.

He took her in his arms and kissed the crown of her head.
"Don't worry about it."

Harley should have worried about it.