For better or for worse

"Why? Why Harley? Why the fuck do you still stay with him?" The doctor screamed at Harley, but she stayed still, she lifted her head and stared at the tall woman.

"I'm with him," her voice was raspy and Harley had to stop speaking to wet her mouth, "for better or for worse."

The doctor shook her head, a laugh tumbled from her lips and for a moment she casually leant against the bars that held Harley. "It'll probably be for worse you know."

A smile took over Harley's face, innocent and dreamlike, the her face became expressionless and she focused her cool gaze on the doctor.
"I knew that the day I met him."

The doctor shook her head once again, then she turned from Harley's cell and walked away.
"He'll kill you." She called down the quiet corridor that housed only one patient.

"Maybe, but I'll be the last."

"What makes you think that he'll even come?"

"Give it a minute or two."
Harley's response was met with the gentle thud of the door. She shifted into a sitting position and twiddled her thumbs.

He would come for her. He always did. She would wait.

Five minutes passed, then ten, then an hour, then a day.

The doctor rose her eyebrows the next afternoon when she arrived at Harley's cell.
"Maybe tonight eh?" Harley's tone was joking but the doctor knew that she was worried.

They spoke hushed words, with Harley always smiling in the fake way that the doctor was growing accustomed to.

"Do you ever feel in danger when you are with him?"

"Sometimes, but it's not like he would actually kill me or something."

"Harley, he threw you off a building."

"Yeah but he was only angry, he loves me, he didn't mean to hurt me."

"You love him don't you?"

"Of course I do, he's my Puddin."

"Would you throw him of a building."

"No but-"

"Well what makes it alright for him to do that to you?"

"He- he's-" Harley couldn't finish her sentence.

"Harley I don't think he's coming for you, and I don't think that you should waste your life away waiting for him."

"He's coming, just wait."

A week passed and Harley broke.

"What am I meant to do doctor, as soon as I get out he'll come for me, he won't allow me to live without him, I need to get out of the city if I'm going to start a new life."
"We have programs set in place for that, we can send you anywhere."

"Send me as far away from here as possible."

"Consider it done. I'll get back to you as soon as possible."

The doctor never came back. The joker didn't come for her.

The man came just past midnight, and he stared into Harley's cell with enough malice to wake her. She rolled over and whispered a name that was not his. The door opened and Harley winced at the sound. He stared at her, then he turned and left. Harley followed, then when she came outside she walked instead to the bridge, then over it, then she walked into her new life.