Mad Love

Harley stood there, staring at the joker, eyes wide, mouth slightly open.
He had brought her here, why?

That was the only question that she was aware of.

Why?

Why here?

The pair stood atop metal scaffolding, she glanced over her shoulder and there, metres down were pools, bubbling and churning, their immense noise only just reaching her ears. The liquid inside  was an off white colour, slightly green under the fluorescent lighting that made the jokers skin seem ash and her natural tan nonexistent.

He stared at her, his gaze suddenly scrutinising, he narrowed his eyes and swayed toward her.

Harley leant forward as well, intent to touch him, to kiss him, to be near him. But he rolled back onto his heels and Harley was alone.

He tilted his head, seemingly confused and Harley stared back.

"Question."

His voice brought her to earth, and she smiled, slightly awed just by his presence. He smiled back at her, the metal on his teeth glimmering under the false light.

His smile put her on edge, it seemed menacing, but his eyes gleamed with joy.

"What?" Her voice was a whisper. Almost unheard, he swung toward her again, this time his hand reached out and caressed her jaw, sparks laced across her skin and she exhaled almost a sigh.
He smiled again, this time it wasn't menacing, only inquisitive.

"Would you die for me?"

"Yes." Harley had answered before the question even registered, but she did not regret it, because with the way he was looking at her, she would do anything.

He dropped his hand from her jaw, and brought his thumbnail to his mouth, Harley watched the movement, his lips, his face, his everything.

"That's too easy." She blinked sharply, his words cutting into her, bringing her back to reality.

"Would you," he paused and watched as Harley held her breath in anticipation.
She was so beautiful, hair caressing her shoulders, blue shirt hanging from her frame. He frowned slightly at this, was she not eating?
"Would you live for me?"
He watched as she bit her lip, his heart wrenched from within his chest, and then she opened her mouth.

"Yes."

The word was maddening, it overcame him and drove him to insanity and back. Yes. Yes. Yes.

Then from deep within the joker, a voice whispered; no.

"Do not take this oath lightly." He reached out again, unable to hear her refusal without her touch.

He leant forward, forehead to forehead, she closed her eyes but he continued staring. He looked at her face, her glasses, her closed eyes.
"Pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty-" he didn't realise he was whispering until she answered, until she opened her eyes and stared into his.
"Please."

The world stopped, time stopped, everything stopped except for her, him, and the little world that they shared.

He leant forward to kiss her, but stopped himself. The little voice within him screaming, refusing, begging for him to stop. So the joker pulled away. And he turned and began to walk, but then Harley took a step back. Her footstep echoing across time and life and reverberating through him again and again.

He turned and watched as she stood there, staring right at him, into him, and he held his breath as she leant back. As she let go. And as the Angel fell all the joker could wonder was; is this the end.

Harley hit the acid and the joker turned to walk away, and took two steps. But then he stopped the voice suddenly silenced, all that he could hear was Harley's laugh from a far off memory. And he wasn't ready for it to just be a memory, he wasn't ready for Harley to be just a memory, so he turned back toward the railing where his Angel once stood.

He cursed and shed his jacket, moving faster than ever before, moving faster than possible, and he leapt from the metal and fell toward his Harley.

The acid stung, it burnt at his skin and tore at his clothes, he flailed his arms for an eternity, looking, searching for her, then, when his lungs were screaming for air his hand found hers. He bundled her body into his and stood, opening his eyes and finding her unconscious one against his chest. He brought his lips to hers and blew air into her, then he did it again, and again, until she sat up from within his arms and gasped in breath. Her eyes shot open, and suddenly they were looking into each other's eyes again.

Blue and red coated the surface of liquid around the pair, creating a pattern of beauty only for the two, but the pair only had eyes for each other.

The joker threw back his head and laughed, laughed with the joy that she was alive, with the happiness that she was safe, and with the promise that she would never leave.

Then the joker lowered his head, and brought his lips to hers, the acid burned, but he would trade any pain for this memory. For this moment. For this now.