Siege p3

She hadn't meant to, but Harley glanced over her shoulder as she drove away. A last glance, she told herself. A last glance at the bridge, at Gotham. A last glance at him.

But the joker wasn't on the bridge.

No- he had been before, because she had watched him walking, but he wasn't now.
He couldn't have made it across the bridge yet.
She hated it, but the voice that was whispering was correct. Even if he sprinted he wouldn't have made it yet.
She hit the brakes as she saw it, something- something human- falling from the bridge railing.

No.

Without thought she spun the wheel and drove again toward Gotham.
It was him. She knew it. He had jumped. She drove to the docks and there- in the moonlight she could see the shimmer of his body in the water, too far to reach from the waterfront, moving too fast for her to swim.

"Fucking hell."
Her voice sounded foreign through her panic, and she knew, she knew what she had to do.
"Fucking bastard."
She could turn, she could run, she could get away. His body bobbed beneath the surface of water. She didn't have to save him. He'll die.
"I hate you." She put the car into reverse and reversed along the dock.
His body disappeared within the black abyss of water.
"Bastard."
Then she put the car into drive and pressed the accelerator to the ground, the vehicle shot forward, faster and faster, then the car left the wood of the docks and Harley gulped in a breath as the machine hit the surface of the water. She unclicked her seatbelt and curled up onto the seat, she waited, her breathing deep and even, until the spiderweb cracks filled the windscreen, she held onto the wheel with one hand and covered her face with the other, then the windscreen shattered inward and the pieces swept past her, she opened her eyes into the watery darkness and pushed off the seat out into oblivion.

The lights flickered, illuminating the world in short, sharp flashes, then the lights faltered and the world was plunged into night.
She swam toward the surface, her lungs burning and there, there, his shadow moved across her face, momentarily blocking out the moonlight.

She grasped his arm and began swimming and dragging, until they both reached the surface.
"Come on." Her words were rasped, and she lifted his head onto her shoulder and swam slowly towards the shore. She felt the stones run against her thighs as she reached the shore line. She stood and dragged him, unable to carry his weight, then she pulled him, harder and harder, until he lay on the stones and she collapsed beside him.

The joker woke lying on the wet ground, the water lapping his shoes and he was shivering. He let his head roll to the side and he knew that he was dead. He must be dead. Because she was lying next to him; his dream, his love lay next to him. He reached out, and let his fingertips brush her skin. To see if she was real, or if she was a phantom and he was in hell.

Because that would be hell to him, to live forever next to Harley and know that she wasn't real.

Her skin was cold, and as he watched, her chest rose and fell in shuddering breaths. He whispered her name, unable to stop himself. And she opened her eyes.
Slowly, ever so slowly, she blinked, then she shivered before sitting up. She moved slowly, groggily, and she lifted a blood covered hand to her eyes before hissing.
She brought her hand back and analysed it, staring at the blood and the cut and the glass.

The joker sat up and stared at her, then he reached over and took her hand. He pulled off his shirt and ripped a strip from it, then he pulled the glass out and quickly wrapped it.

Harley was silent, staring out at the river, then her eyes shifted and she was staring at him with her empty gaze. He watched, bitterly mesmerised as agony took her features, and suddenly he was staring into eyes misted with tears.

"Why?"
His heart broke hearing her words. "So I wouldn't go after you."
"Bullshit." She shook her head, and a tear slipped down the contours of her face. She opened her mouth, and the joker watched as the words died on her tongue, she shook her head again. "Bullshit." She whispered.

She woke up with him touching her. She woke up on the shoreline, with him next to her. She hated herself, she hated him, she hated herself for being so weak. She should have kept driving. She should have left him in the water to die. But instead she was  weak- stupid, and she saved him.  She burned with shame. Anger. Spite.

Stupidity.

She should have driven away, then she would have been free. Then she wouldn't have been stuck here with him with no way of escaping. Because thats what Harley had done, she had given up her freedom to save him. She had sold her life to make him life. And she burned for it. She would suffer for it.

But right now, right now when he stared at her the way he was doing, with such concern and hurt and worry. When he looked at her like that Harley remembered why she had loved him. Then she remembered what he had done, and she started crying. She had lost her chance to escape and now she was trapped.

She was suddenly on him, tears streaming down her face, fists smashing and feet kicking, she was screaming, strange intelligible words that he didn't understand. Then the syllables became clear and the joker understood.
"Bastard!" She cried. "I could've gone, I could've been free, but now I've lost my escape!"
"What?"
"You planned this, didn't you, it's just a big fucking game- a joke- well haha at least now I get the punch line."
"Joke?"
"I hope that you're happy." Her voice was a demonising hiss.

"Happy? Happy that you're here because of me even though you obviously hate it here- I wanted you to go off and have a good life-"

"Then why the fuck would you pull a stunt like that?"

"Because that amazing- great life that you imagined didn't have me in it! And I couldn't live knowing that. Knowing that the woman I love is out there with someone else! Happy! Without me."

"No- don't you dare try to make me out to be the bad guy- because I'm not- because I drove into that water, I sacrificed my freedom for you-"

"Well I didn't ask you to," he said, his voice breaking, "you should have gone off, and had your happy life, and forgotten about me."

Silence fell over them. Harley looked away from him, out over the river, and saw the glow of the distant city, the city that she was meant to be in. The city that she gave up for the stupid man next to her that she loved.

"Why did you send me away?"
"I did it for you."
"Why?"
"I wanted you to be happy."
"Why was I upset?"

He lifted his head, stared out across the river at the destiny that Harley had given up.

"Because you're trapped."
She didn't speak, and the silence killed him, so to break the silence he spoke again.

"Because you don't love me anymore."

----------/////::::::::

Hey guys sorry that it's later than usual but I was the sober driver and only just got back an hour ago.

Hope you guys enjoyed.