The War

It was her voice in his ear that brought him into the waking world. But Harley was not whispering something that the joker wanted to hear.

Her lips were at his ear, brushing against his lobe with every breath. Yet the words were cold and heartbreakingly sad.

"You are the war I cannot win."

She repeated it, over and over, a constant ringing in his ear.

He fell back into sleep and felt a phantom of her kiss linger on his lips.

When he woke she was gone.

No trace, no nothing, just the absence of her voice and the constant emptiness that followed him into every room.
She was gone.
He was numb.

He screamed but the sound of his own voice was drowned out by her words, repeating, repeating, driving him mad.

He punched a wall, but all he could feel was her lips brushing against his ear, her final kiss imprinted against his lips.

He didn't sleep that night, he didn't sleep any night. Instead he sent his men out to find her and stayed home with the porch light in incase she came back.

He waited next to the window, leaning into the frame until his arm became numb, and still she did not come back.

She never came back.

-----

Sorry it's short I'm working on another story at the moment, if you want a character named after you comment your name, I need twenty characters so be a part of it if you want.

Send me some prompts because the ones I'm stealing from Pinterest aren't giving me much oomph.

Hope you enjoyed. Update will be on Saturday.