Road Work Ahead? Yeah, I sure Hope It Does

No hate @ Debby, it's just a fan fic

◇◆◇◆

Josh sat in his car impatiently tapping his fingers against the steering wheel. He glanced at his wrist and sighed, his eyes were closing on their own but the man tried as hard as he could to keep them open. He had an important date tonight and couldn't bail on his girlfriend. They were supposed to go to a restaurant to celebrate their one-year anniversary. Even though Debby claimed that it was incredibly important to her, she was late by thirty minutes and Josh feared that their reservation was going to be cancelled. 

Josh was so tired after work, he had so much unfinished paperwork at home that he feared the moment he has to step into his house. Luckily, he had stacked the papers into a neat pile. People thought that working as a youth counsellor was a piece of cake but in reality, it was tougher than it looked like. The man tried to do his best but some kids just didn't listen at all and only tumbled into the black abyss of drug abuse and alcoholism. Josh knew that he couldn't save everyone but he had to try. he put the kids first and spent a fortune every month trying to make their life a little bit easier. Most of the kids came from poorer families and didn't even have shoes. The man could've just neglected them but Josh took his job seriously because of his heart was the size of the empire state building.

When Josh bought the flat in downtown he never thought that it would be so hard to keep everyone together. Josh wanted to create a welcoming community but kids from urban environments were harder to deal with than the ones Josh was used to working with back in his hometown. The man liked a little bit of a challenge, the only problem was that he started slowly realizing that his goal is slowly drifting away and all the effort just evaporates into the thin air. The youth was difficult. Josh sometimes feared the teenagers even though he was a teenager himself at heart. Josh was twenty-seven but still felt like a fifteen-year-old boy at heart.  

Josh glanced out the car window for the last time before hopping out of the vehicle to open the passenger door. Debby walked out of her house really fucking slowly like she had a broom up her ass. Of course, Josh was patient and didn't say anything but on the inside, he was crying and screaming because their reservation was probably cancelled fifteen minutes ago. And of course, the girl would nag about it like she didn't make it all happen. Women right? Nagging, screaming and lashing out at you... That was normal, right? Right?

It was for Josh and the man couldn't imagine that all of this could be different. He loved the girl and love sometimes made you see only the good qualities of the person you're with. 

"Hey, Debs." Josh smiled warmly before pecking the girl's contoured cheek 

The girl smiled and climbed into the car. She was wearing a black, off-shoulder knee-length dress that hugged her figure tightly. Maybe a little too tight because she had troubled sitting normally. Josh closed the door gently and jogged around the car to get back to his seat. The man started the engine and didn't say a word about her being almost an hour late. Sure, it was annoying but the man didn't want to upset the woman. 

"God, can you turn off that stupid music?" Debby pressed her manicured finger against the volume button turning the tune completely off

"M'sorry." Josh murmured, his eyes fixed on the road 

Debby just scoffed softly and glanced at her pink glittery nails. Josh swallowed thickly feeling the weight of his ring in his inner pocket. Was it too soon to propose? Or too late? When is the right time? Is the earth flat?

"Josh!" the girl yapped angrily "The light is green, drive."

"Sorry..." the man murmured and pressed the gas pedal

The arrived to the restaurant shortly, thank god their reservation hasn't been cancelled yet. Josh tried as hard as he could to keep his smile but work was all he had on his mind. Josh simply couldn't relax. The restaurant was packed, the man felt a little bit anxious and Debby wasn't helping at all. 

"God, I told you to take out your stupid plugs." She lifted her gaze off the menu and glanced at Josh

"What's wrong with my plugs?" Josh touched his ears, suddenly feeling a little self-conscious amount them

"It's..." Debby rolled her eyes "Ugh."

"If you don't like something it doesn't mean that others can't enjoy it." Josh murmured under his nose, he wasn't in the mood to argue

He made a mental note in his head to take them out when he comes back home. The girl flipped through the menu and ordered some healthy crap like always and Josh decided to get steak. He was starving. 

"The wine tastes like it's from the dollar store." Debby scrunched up her nose and placed her glass down "Where did you find this restaurant anyways?"

"The internet." Josh shrugged his shoulders

"God, this was supposed to be our anniversary but you had to ruin it." the woman tapped her temples

"What?" Josh sounded hurt and offended "How is this my fault?"

"I told you to ask me for restaurant recommendations but you never listen." The girl crossed her arms in front of her "You don't care about me or my opinion at all."

"You said that you don't care about the restaurant." Josh rubbed his forehead

"But I didn't say to pick the cheapest one in the area." Debby murmured and continued with her salad

"I'm not a millionaire, Deborah," Josh said calmly, suddenly the food stopped being as good as it was before

"If you didn't spend all your money on those...." Debby gestured with her hands angrily "Those... Kids! Ugh, all you care about is your job. It's like I don't even matter."

"What do you want?" Josh shook his head in disappointment "You want me to quit my job?"

"Yes!" the woman pursed her lips together in annoyance "Find a normal job."

"My job is a real job. I'm helping a lot of people and if you don't respect that we have nothing to talk about anymore." The man stood up

The woman's facial expression softened a bit. She grabbed her purse and rushed after the man. 

"I'm sorry." Debby placed her hand on Josh's chest and leaned in for a kiss 

"You always do this." Josh felt the weight of the ring again, now he wasn't sure if there ever gonna be a good time for that

"Because you know I don't like poor people," Debby whispered sweetly as if the words coming from her mouth were okay to say so casually

Josh just nodded and lowered his head. The girl grabbed the man's hand and dragged him to the car. Josh was silent the whole drive home, he was a little bit upset but not too much because he was used to this. He knew that Debby loved him, she was just a little hot-headed, that's all. 

"Hey, Joshie..." Debby fluttered her eyelashes 

"Yeah?" the man sighed

"I really like this dress and I don't want to return it." the girl pouted, her petite hand slowly slid up Josh's thigh 

"How-" Josh swallowed thickly "How much was it?"

"Oh, it was cheap actually." the woman grinned "Just a couple of hundred dollars."

Josh let out a heavy defeated sigh and reached for his wallet. He handed Debby the money and she snatched the bills right out of his hands. 

"Thanks, babe." she smiled softly and climbed out of the car

Josh leaned forward for a goodbye kiss but the woman shut the door in his face and strutted down the path back into the house. Josh watched the girl disappear into her house and got his eyes back on the road again.

With a sigh, Josh started the engine and drove away. The ring was still in his inner pocket.

Maybe next time.