Chapter 14: Whalien 52

Tuesday, July 11th. 28°C

Mi's POV

The guys had a bunch of interviews lined up for the day and said they were going to be back really late. 

Amelia had taken the opportunity to go visit her family and I went with her. 

"Oh god it's been so long people!" she said as she hugged her parents. 

I giggled in the back, to me it was a funny way to greet one's parents. 

"This is Mi, my roommate that I've told you about," she said as she pointed at me. 

Her parents smiled at me and gave me a heartfelt hug. They were a really cute middle aged couple. Her mom was rather short and skinny and his dad was tall and chubby. 

"It is so nice to finally meet you after all this time," her mom said. 

"Your sister has an internship all week, she says she's sad that she won't get to see you," her dad said. 

Amelia rolled her eyes, "I told you a month ago if not more. It's fine I'll see her on my next visit." 

"Which reminds me, you're graduating soon aren't you?" her mom said. 

"Next year, hopefully," she answered. 

"And what are you planning to do then? I mean, are you going to come back or are you going to try to get another sponsor?" her mom asked. 

Amelia's eyes widened. 

"A sponsor?" I asked. 

Her mom looked at Amelia and back to me, "oh, it was just a joke." 

We sat down in their living room to talk. Amelia's house was quite modest: it was a two room one bathroom house of small dimensions. Amelia had always said that her parents had often struggled to make ends meet, but Mi wasn't expecting such a small house. 

They were really interested in knowing me and how our daily life was back in Korea. I could tell that they missed their daughter very much, so I decided to leave back to the hotel earlier to let them have some bonding time.

-------------------------------------------------

Amelia ended up coming home late, around 10:30 pm. 

"So, are you going to tell me about that sponsoring thing?" I asked her as she came into our room. 

She sighed, "I was going to tell you, I just didn't know how." 

"What's the sponsoring thing?" I asked 

"I might as well start the story from the beginning, right? Well you've seen my house and you know how much it costs to go to university here. So, I always knew that my parents or me, let's be honest, could never afford for me to go to university. So two years before I graduated from high school I started looking for ways to go to university and I found out that it would be better to go abroad. I started looking into programs and one of them was really interesting to me. 

It promised to pay for my whole undergraduate studies in Korea, the catch, was that I would have to work part-time teaching English. The job would make me enough money to live and save towards my master's and I would be getting an education basically for free. That was the best program I found and I thought it was my only chance, so I started learning Korean back then and when I applied, they accepted me really fast. If it wasn't for that I don't think I would've been able to get a higher education." 

"You always said you came to study to Korea because you liked the culture and you've always wanted to live there," I said. 

"I like the culture. But no, I never wanted to live there," she said 

"So then, when you said that you wanted to maybe stay longer after your studies you just can't, right?" I asked. 

"You don't understand, Mi. I wanted to stay because of my ex, because I thought we had something that was worth it. But now I don't know. I have money saved up towards my masters and I have recommendations from professors here. I'm still thinking about it. I miss my family. I don't know what I want anymore," she answered, visibly frustrated. 

"Hey, it's okay, you have time to think about it," I said. I could tell the whole conversation was making her very anxious and sad so I stopped asking her questions and turned on the TV. 

I saw her changing and putting on a pair of jeans. I was very confused as to why she wasn't putting on her pajamas. 

"Where are you going?" I asked her.

"I'm just going for a walk," she said.

"Yeah, sure. Because you always put on your best pair of jeans and make up whenever you go on a walk," I laughed, "come on, are you seeing someone?"

She shifted uncomfortably. I had known Amelia for a long time and she was very random and out there most of the time. Except when it came down to boys.

"You know I don't like these types of talks," she said.

"Is it Jungkook?" I asked with a smile.

She froze.

"Come on, it's obvious," I said rolling my eyes, "you guys wouldn't stop talking during lunch time."

"It's not a date," Amelia said, "we're hanging out as friends do."

"Where are you going, then?" I asked as I tried to contain my laughter.

"We're having a coffee at the bar downstairs," she said.

"That's a date," I said between two coughs.

"Friends can have coffees together, no big deal," she pointed out.

"But you like him," I said. It was a fact, I knew her well enough to know whenever she liked someone or not.

"He's really handsome and dreamy," she said with a smile, "but I'm not into him like that. This is a pure friendship in development."

I laughed, "oh come on you just literally confirmed that you like him."

"Hey, buddy, I told you, friends," she said, "F-R-I-E-N-D-S. Like the show."

"Do you mean the show where the said friends would actually date each other?" I asked with a smile.

She finally cracked a smile, "okay it was a wrong example but you know what I mean. Now leave me alone I still have to take care of my hair."

She closed the bathroom door as a sign for me to stop.

Instead I started singing the word love over and over again. After a while she opened the door and looked at me with an annoyed face. She looked amazing. She was wearing black jeans and a lace over the shoulders white top and black converse. She had accessorized with a simple necklace and hoops in her ears. Her makeup was simple, yet pretty, with some gold eyeshadow to accentuate her green eyes and she had slightly curled the ends of her golden blonde hair.

"Don't you have anything better to do like, I don't know, see your boyfriend?" she asked, "anyways, I'm going."

She took a black purse that was lying on her bed and walked to the door.

"Good luck!" I said making kissing sounds.